Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi Donald,
    I have steel rims on my 1973 CZ 400.

No I just use the pipe that comes with the bike.
    I can stay with and some times pass the bikes with all that junk on them.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hi Donald,
    Yes you are correct the time it takes to free up seized spokes it is easily to just buy new ones. I just freed up all 32 rear wheel spokes for a 15 year old who does not have the money to buy new spokes. If it was mine the job would have taken ten minutes but a can of penetration oil and a day later they were all free turning and the wheel trued up perfect.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Have you ridden it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hi Donald,
    Yes you are correct the time it takes to free up seized spokes it is easily to just buy new ones. I just freed up all 32 rear wheel spokes for a 15 year old who does not have the money to buy new spokes. If it was mine the job would have taken ten minutes but a can of penetration oil and a day later they were all free turning and the wheel trued up perfect.

Ji
    A CZ 400 for a 15 year old? WOW!!!

Hey Donald,
    I said
    "I have steel rims on my 1973 CZ 400"

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hi Spotsineyes,
    No I have not.
    I have to wait for the next ride.
    We live in a city and there is no where to ride within 2 hours.
    Next ride is in two weeks.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Excel rims are made from 7050 alloy.
    This is straight from the data sheets.
    I used 5356 in the repairs.

"Welding of 7050 alloy is a problem and should be avoided. Gas tungsten or gas metal arc welding is NOT successful with this alloy. Weld cracking and porosity usually result and any weld joint that is made is much weaker than the parent metal"

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Just got back from two days blasting over rocks and logs.
    The two rear Excel rims that I repaired showed no sign of problems.
    We inspected the rims after every loop and were happierly surprised not to see a reappearance of the cracks.
    I think tightening the spokes and truing the wheels helped a lot.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Rim repair before and after the high pressure water clean.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it