Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First welding project.

Hey guys,
    First welding project here. Let me know your thoughts, tips, suggestions, if it sucks, what sucks, how to fix it, and so on

Default First welding project

Hi. I'm 63 and have been welding a long time. From the picture it looks great, you have a good hand beads looks verry good. If it is square as far as my old eyes can see you should keep at welding. SEMPER FI

Hey, I am 63 also and have been welding for a few years, and I think it looks great too.

What is it going to be? (potential welding cart?) What is the size and gauge of the metal tubing? Also how did you square up your corners?

Default Specifics

Hey guys,
    The steel is 1-1/2 square tubing 1/8 thick. I bought a 90degree angle vice to square up the corners. That first picture makes it look really unsquared for some reason. But she is almost perfect. I am using a 3/8 inch 46x46 steel plate for the top. I have yet to pick that up.

Quote Originally Posted by smfcpacfp View Post
    Hey, I am 63 also and have been welding for a few years, and I think it looks great too.

What is it going to be? (potential welding cart?) What is the size and gauge of the metal tubing? Also how did you square up your corners?

Going to be my first welding table. I used the Syncrowave 200 tig.

Bead look pretty good, my only suggestions would be to prep your joints for better penetration and to finish welding all the way around your joints (if you haven't already).
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

It looks great!
    One of the things that can be a little hard to get your head around is the range of projects you can take on with the ability to weld. I have worked with wood for well over 30 years and keep having to remind myself about the capabilities of steel and welding and how my project list has grown significantly. Have fun!

Looks good. Weld looks good too.

One other thing i can pick is that masive crack in tne concrete. Looks as if it has no rio.
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
    Cigweld TransMig 210se
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx

Looks great! Don't stop now I want to see some finished project prictures. The welds look good.

Gord

Quote Originally Posted by cburn View Post
    Hey guys,
    The steel is 1-1/2 square tubing 1/8 thick. I bought a 90degree angle vice to square up the corners. That first picture makes it look really unsquared for some reason. But she is almost perfect. I am using a 3/8 inch 46x46 steel plate for the top. I have yet to pick that up.
    I think the reason the first pic looks un square is due to the major floor cracks and other items in the background.

The close ups show nice fit-up and other have already commented about the prep and finish welding. It looks like you have good basic skills that will improve greatly the more you get to practice!