Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller 225 g carb

I have a miller 225 plus with an onan p216 engine. I have to run it with the choke out approximatly 75%. Without the choke pulled it will run high speed but rough and will die when it drops to idle speed. I removed carburetor and soaked in cleaner and reassembled it and ran two tanks with sea foam in it, didn't help. Could it be a vacuum leak? My dealer said sometimes they just have to replace the carburetor. Thanks for any help.

Sounds more like a fuel pump issue to me, as it runs on vacumn.

And I've NEVER replaced a carb yet...
    Last edited by cruizer; 04-29-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Same thing happened to one of our 250's, small crack in the gas line, barely detectable.

Default Miller 225 carb

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    sounds more like a fuel pump issue to me, as it runs on vacumn.

and i've never replaced a carb yet...
    you think i need to rebuild fuel pump or just get a new one?

Default Miller 225 carb

Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    same thing happened to one of our 250's, small crack in the gas line, barely detectable.
    i assume the cracked line was on the suction side of the fuel pump.

I usually merely plug off that vac line, and run a 3 psi universal $25 fuel pump and run the power to it off the switched side of the oil pressure switch That way if the unit runs out of oil, the switch shuts off as does the pump. And of course as soon as the unit is turned over, there is oil presuure and the pump turns on.

Default miller 225g carb

sounds more like the main jet in the carb is plugged, just soaking in carb cleaner won't get the gunk out of the jet. what kind of cleaner did you use?

Thumbs up Plugged Main Jet !

Quote Originally Posted by pullerguy View Post
    sounds more like the main jet in the carb is plugged, just soaking in carb cleaner won't get the gunk out of the jet. what kind of cleaner did you use?
    pullerguy;
    I agree with you , that's what happened to my Lincoln 185 last Oct. !
    The carb. was removed & cleaned, but the Main Jet was still plugged up.
    The tech. guy used some Fine wire , I think to clean it fully. It's worked fantastic since then !!!!!!!

..........Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    pullerguy;
    I agree with you , that's what happened to my Lincoln 185 last Oct. !
    The carb. was removed & cleaned, but the Main Jet was still plugged up.
    The tech. guy used some Fine wire , I think to clean it fully. It's worked fantastic since then !!!!!!!

..........Norm
    Didn't you only buy that machine last year
    ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

I'm not entirely sure how this grit is getting by your gas line filter. even getting grit out of a plastic gas tank. There is really no reason to plug up your carb. Unless you don't use your unit for a year (bad gas), or never change out your fuel filter. An outback is too new to have carb problems.

I've made alot of mistakes over the last 20 years of this , but never had to take apart a carb for jet issues. alot of floats on sa200's but nothing on the Onans/Kohlers and such