Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default welding a gas tank?

anyone know how to go about doing this safely? i heard fill it up with water but how do you keep the water from coming out of the hole that needs to be welded?

Smile tank weld.

Tank is made from....Not that it matters. Just wondered. Put the hole up. Duh. Then the water won't drain out. My favorite is bleed Argon it the tank after it is drained of fuel or have a professional fuel drainer clean the tank first. You can use any inert gas to keep the vapors from collecting in the fuel cell. Remember fuel burns, vapor EXPLODES. With the inert gas pouring into the tank make your weld/patch. A valid alternative is to use Engine exhaust and inject it into the tank as the inert gas.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by slow50 View Post
    anyone know how to go about doing this safely? i heard fill it up with water but how do you keep the water from coming out of the hole that needs to be welded?
    When you have to ask how to do something it means you you don't know what you are doing and you have never done it before.A GAS TANK ....asking an open forum... stay away from doing it.You don't know what's right or wrong,how will you know who's egging you on has a grain.Asking for trouble...bring it to a pro....in real life
    ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

People have died doing this, sometimes even people who have done it several times before. Only takes one miss step.

No experience with it myself but i have seen my father use the engine exhaust method for cutting a race fuel storage tank in half with an oxy acetylene torch personaly i would ask a pro to do it or if you insist on doing it your self have a pro walk you thru it step by step so that you know and can do it again if necessary.

Unhappy eeek

I wouldn't do it (but I'm no professional welder either). I've done quite a bit of research on the subject as a friend asked me to fix a tank on an old tractor that tanks are almost impossible to find. This particular tank had a few very small pinholes in it, so I decided to use eastwoods gas tank sealer - that was a year ago and it is still not leaking. Of course, it depends on how big of a hole you are trying to seal. My Dad (with 60 years of welding experience) told me thats as close to a bomb as I'll ever have in my shop.....

Thumbs down

There are many ways to prepare a gas tank for welding repair...Since you are an admitted amateur at this...My recommendation is to not get advice on an internet forum.....Go to a pro and let him show you his method...and then you decide if you are ready for this kind of repair...another thing to think about....how much is a replacement tank? .........Remember ..if your nose can smell fuel ....don't weld .... the fumes are explosive...It would be hard for ANYONE to explain everything you need to know for fuel tank repair in a post on a forum like this... Ain't worth getting injured over......

i welded a tank once and it near took off my thumb, hear me out now, i was in the shop, busy as heck, this guy comes in with this little tiny container, it had a crack where the mounting tab was, i asked him what it was, a tank from a power washer, i looked at it, smelled it, then i assumed it was a soap dispencer, i started to weld it, it was going good then it popped like nothing like i have ever seen before, the shock wave ripped my thumb nail off, thru the heavy gloves, stupid me, rushing, not thinking, this thing was smaller than your hand, it also was spotless inside, i can see how people can loose their lives , 20 gallons of fumes, spark, funeral

I've welded more gas tanks than I can remember or count. I wouldn't recommend it for someone on a hobbyist or amateur level of experience. The gasoline of today isn't what it was when I started. When I started the octane level of cheap gas was above what premium gas is now days. The lower the octane rating the lower the flash point of the gasoline which means it will burn at a lower temperature than the higher octane gasoline. I won't even make a recommendation on how to do it and would advise you to attempt another method of repair such as was mentioned earlier with the product available from Eastwood. Motorcycle shops use a coating which goes inside the tank and works well, you might think about that method if the tank is small enough.

One mistake in welding a gas tank will make a widow of your wife and leave your kids without a dad.

By the way filling the tank with water is about the worst possible way to attempt to weld a gas tank.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Been watching this thread and now have to put in my O2. Filling with water is the worst way ?!?!?! Many bad ways to do this repair but that's not one of them.

Step 1: Fill tank with water to a level ABOVE the leak (yes water is pissin out-- don't worry about it).

Step 2: Use some 5P+ to seal up the hole (Lincon's 6010 rod is 5P+). Yes, you can get the leak stopped up WHILE it's bleading out water with 6010.

Step 3: Top up the water level in the tank to ensure it is still above the level of the leak.

Step 4: Complete the repair with some lo-hy rod (that would be 7018, any brand will do)

Step 5: Charge the ever-livin ":><*$#@! out of the customer for doing a " DANGEROUS REPAIR" , then walk away with a pocket-full of greenbacks.
    Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter