Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: What process do you use most?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • GMAW

22 52.38%
  • GTAW

7 16.67%
  • SMAW

8 19.05%
  • SAW

2 4.76%
  • A/O

1 2.38%
  • SPOT

0 0%
  • OTHER

2 4.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

At work, in the shop its all MIG. All aluminum is heavy ramps so the spool guns work good. On the road, its stick. [2 Miller big blue air pacs and 4 Bobcat 225Ds]

At home, [my shop], Tig and MIg run close. I do alot of aluminum repairs, marine/boat stuff, so TIG is used a bunch, but I also repair trailers, farm equipment etc, so the MIG gets used a bunch. I have a Bobcat 225D that I never use since I only work in the shop.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    At work, in the shop its all MIG. All aluminum is heavy ramps so the spool guns work good. On the road, its stick. [2 Miller big blue air pacs and 4 Bobcat 225Ds]

At home, [my shop], Tig and MIg run close. I do alot of aluminum repairs, marine/boat stuff, so TIG is used a bunch, but I also repair trailers, farm equipment etc, so the MIG gets used a bunch. I have a Bobcat 225D that I never use since I only work in the shop.

dang you got alot of engine drives there

ha ha, We have 5 road service trucks [1 spare bobcat]. We take care of a fleet of electric utillity trucks, 450+ vehicles [bucket trucks, derricks, trenchers, etc] always plenty to work on The air pacs are awesome, built in rotary screw compressor and can jump start anything.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default No listing for FCAW

I have burned 150# of .072 FC since January 1st.
    TJ______________________________________

I use stick more than any other. I don't have access to a MIG at work, just the Thunderbolt, Ranger 8, and an old Forney that's still goin strong after 40+ years of service. I do occasionally use a MIG at the school, we have 2 MM185s and a MM210, but i rarely use them unless i'm in a hurry or doing alot of stuff with small materials.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s
    2 Miller MM252s
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
    Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

I like to use GTAW when I can, I don't like spatter anymore. But I find myself using GMAW more often then I like, mainly for speed and convienence.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default I kind of figured this.

Before I asked you guys for help on this one I had a pretty good debate with one of my supplier as to what was used most. I said mig he said tig. I thought that stick might be up there with it but it seems that mig is replacing (by application) it's popularity slowly year by year. I know ya all like to tig and why not? it's more fun, prettier and takes more skill. Tig seems to be used more in our garages on our own projects than in the shop where we have to turn things over faster and make that buck.

Thanks, I won the $5 bet.

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters