Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    Well i usually get burnt at least once a day, but i naild my thumb with a 7 inch angle grinder and was wearinf gloves it didnt matter chewd the gloves up0 like nothing didnt need stitches but id **** sure hurt.
    I was using a 4 1/2" grinder working on a steering arm for an old tractor. It had worn and wouldnt tighten up so I was using the grinder to open the slot up slightly. This would make it clamp tighter. I was holding the end I was grinding on with my left hand, the other end was still attached. The disc grabbed in the slot and ran up my thumb. In this case a glove would have helped alot. Like you, might be skinned up but not layed open...Live and learn I guess.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

About 5 days ago, I was cutting some 1" thick plate over a large 36" tall I beam, I had My feet clear, but somehow managed to get a 3/4" or so blob of molten metal to hit my boot and lay on top.. Didnt realize it until after it melted through the boot and by then it was too late. Burned about 1/4- 3/8 down on the top of my foot, hurt like ****, then nothing... Now 5 days later its swollen, hurts like **** (healing I guess) and itches like crazy..... Be carefull out there, this ones a first for me..... Now I have a crater on the top of my foot....
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

Default Ouch

Last year our company Hired a friend of mine to come weld some 36 inch pipes for us, and I layed them out and lined them up then got out and helped him and watched while he welded, I knew better than to watch without a hood, but he had one of those auto ones and i had a old flip up kind, so every stinking time he started a new bead i would not be ready and get a quick flash to the eyes , later that night I could not sleep and eyes were watering, felt like sand in my eyes, almost went to hospital to have them look things over, went to work next day, tired, eye sore, made it all day, but man that hurt like heck for about a day.. bad thing is you dont know while its happening.. It gets you later after the fact..

Quote Originally Posted by baddog0690 View Post
    Last year our company Hired a friend of mine to come weld some 36 inch pipes for us, and I layed them out and lined them up then got out and helped him and watched while he welded, I knew better than to watch without a hood, but he had one of those auto ones and i had a old flip up kind, so every stinking time he started a new bead i would not be ready and get a quick flash to the eyes , later that night I could not sleep and eyes were watering, felt like sand in my eyes, almost went to hospital to have them look things over, went to work next day, tired, eye sore, made it all day, but man that hurt like heck for about a day.. bad thing is you dont know while its happening.. It gets you later after the fact..
    Next time if there is a next time, slice a raw potato, lay down and put a slice on the affected eye until the pain subsides, an ice pack works well also but the potato is much better.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

A pair of clear glasses will help some too.. I was doing some mirror welds this year.. Real humid day and my glasses kept fogging up.. I took them off not thinking.. While i was reaching in with the tig torch to get set up, i struck off a few time basicly in my face.. after a 8 hrs of that, that night was ****... In 6 yrs welding it was my first flash.. The saftey glasses will help to reflect some of the arc and protect your eyes some.. Not 100%..
    Journeyman Boilermaker Local 28 NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mxtweeker View Post
    A pair of clear glasses will help some too.. I was doing some mirror welds this year.. Real humid day and my glasses kept fogging up.. I took them off not thinking.. While i was reaching in with the tig torch to get set up, i struck off a few time basicly in my face.. after a 8 hrs of that, that night was ****... In 6 yrs welding it was my first flash.. The saftey glasses will help to reflect some of the arc and protect your eyes some.. Not 100%..
    I second that, always wear your safety glasses, even under your hood. The block the reflected light, protect you from projectiles that get past your hood, and keep you safe when it is flipped up. Remember, you can sew limbs back on, but once you lose an eye...

Or as my auto teacher always says (and he is one to talk ) "blind men see no chicks."
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

ive had the usual, burns from welding, cuts from grinders/zipcuts. One day i was welding and had molten tar drip on to the back of my neck from the guys doing the blueskin... That $hit hurts cause it burns and sticks...
    Luckily nothin serious and i still got all my limbs and id like to keep it that way

about 2 years ago not think right i took a 7" grinder with out a guard and was cutting some sheet metal. the thing was to make a disc last longer i got the great idea to put a 16" chop saw blade on it ( lol dont do this) well need less to say it caught and ran across my knee. still no feeling in some part of mt knee and about 10 - 15 stitches, not my best day. another time doing some plasma cutting off the side of my table just got the end.... then i woke up on the floor, well the piece had flipped up and caught me in the face. just a pair of broken glasses and a black eye lol. o yeah and all the other things like burns, scrapes cuts, arc flashes, and all that other good stuff.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Default Better to learn from others mistakes...

Not welding but this thread reminded me of one of those Home Improvement shows. Can't remember if it was This Old House or Home Again or whatever. Good old Bob Villa always had this carpenter working with him running a table saw. If you looked closely he is missing a couple fingers on each hand

Never been able to figure out why I can always tell when someone is going to do something stupid - except for myself

Spatter went down my glove and stuck to my ring! This one hurt like a *****.

3 days later. Couldn't get the ring off for two weeks!