Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by diverbill45 View Post
    Jignator,

Instead of having to fill up that tank at the station and have a limited amount of air, what I did during my auto circle track racing days, was install an auto ac compressor under the hood, where it would normally go on the engine. On the inlet side I put a small screw in air filter and on the outlet side I ran a hose to the check valve on the tank. I mounted a toggle switch under the dash and ran a fused wire from the 12 volt power supply to the switch and then to the ac compressor clutch. Anytime I needed air I'd just flip the switch and had air. It's not as fast as a regular compressor, but at least you'll have an unlimited amount of air. I helped out quite a few guys that had one too many flats on their race cars and another nice thing is you don't have to listen to the noise those 12 volt compressors make, just the idle of your truck engine.

Hope this helps.

Do you have any trouble keeping the A/C compressor lubed up properly? Those are designed to operate in a closed-loop system with oil in the loop. I assume the oil circulates around the loop and the compressor always has enough in it. How do you lube the compressor when it's pulling fresh air into it? I'm sure it'll loose oil by spitting a little out the output. Do you just squirt a little oil in the intake every so often?

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

There are oil less compressors that hook up to your v belt. I had a "york" compressor from my Ford Bronco for the air conditioning unit re-plumbed made a great compressor for filling up tires or even running some air tools off of for short times. Look up "york AC compressor" and you will find some write-ups mostly for off-road vehicles.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hailea View Post
    There are oil less compressors that hook up to your v belt. I had a "york" compressor from my Ford Bronco for the air conditioning unit re-plumbed made a great compressor for filling up tires or even running some air tools off of for short times. Look up "york AC compressor" and you will find some write-ups mostly for off-road vehicles.
    I used one years ago. I now use a compressor from an old freezer and its been fine for the last 26 years...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Andy, ....... look at what Hailea said. Mine was a "York" compressor that I took off of a Ford and installed it on my Ford. It worked great.
    Bill

Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Miller 251
    Thermodynamics Plasma arc
    Benard "Center Fire" wirefeed gun
    Miller alum. spool gun
    Tweco Tig torch
    Victor O/A torches
    B&D Wildcat 9" grinder
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    7"x12" bandsaw

A shop that's always going to be to small.