Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Utility Trailer Material

Hey guys,
    First off i want to say this is a great site with some great folks.

I was looking into building myself a little utility trailer 5x10 possibly 6x10 or even 6x12. I had originally planned to use 2x3x3/16 angle for the frame and crossmembers with the latter spaced approx 20 to 24 inches apart with extra bracing across the back end for heavier loading. I was thinking on using 2x2x1/8 angle for the uprights as well as the top rail and 3 inch channel for the tongue. I also wanted to include a ramp constructed from 2x2x3/16 angle.
    The trailer was to be used to haul loads mainly in the 2500 lb range maybe a bit more which i believe will put it in the upper ranges of the capacity of this but design/material but maybe not.

So im looking for opinions and some guidance. Is this sufficient or should i be looking into channel or possibly tube construction.
    Any input at all regarding the different trailer sizes and the steel required is much appreciated.
    Thanks again guys.

Cool

If going 12' i would make the angle a little heavier. I just fixed one last week that had broke in half right in front of the axle and it was 2x3x3/16 and the guy used it to haul lawn mowers for his mowing business. Maybe 3x4x1/4 would be a better choice. Just my thought...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default If it were my...

I'd use either box tubing or chanel for the frame, but definitely not angle iron. Chanel and box tubing have much more ridgidity and strength than angle.
    2500 LB range you might get away with 2" chanel, but 3" would be better, and 2" x 4" x 3/16" would be my choice for rectangular tubing.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

I agree, the above angle is too light for that much weight. C3x5 channel would be a good choice. For rectangular tube 4x2x1/8 should be heavy enough. It actually has a higher moment of inertia (less bending, lower stress) than C3x5 and will be easier to get full penetration welds in and at 4.75 lb/ft is slightly lighter weight.

Thanks for the responses,
    Ill take the advice and bump up my frame to channel or tube for that weight but at what weight would you guys be comfortable to build a angle iron trailer for? 1500? 2000? Also would my 2x3x3/16 angle crossmembers still be sufficient or should they be closer together or just a different material all together?

With the 3 inch leg verticle and the 2 inch leg horizontal I would be comfortable loading 1000 pounds uniformly on a 10 foot trailer bed. The number or spacing of cross members would depend a lot on what material was used for flooring. I would go with a minimum of 4 (making 3 retangular openings).

If you are building for on the road you should look into registration requirements and should have the trailer inspected before hauling loads around to be sure it is safe.