Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rifle Rest

Hybrid View

Default Rifle Rest

I built this with 3/8ths mild steel 3/4 all thread, weld nuts, and I cant remember what you call those threaded spacers, like what you would use to bolt the belly pan of a Cat or skidder or something to. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More pics

Here they are.

Default Great past time...Bench shooting.

11b,

I like the project. That's a much nicer rest than those usually seen on the market! I would have "broke" the resting plate using a hydraulic press/jig combo and an angle deflection gauge rather than welding the three pieces. However, you probably did not have access to such tooling. I guess things are more scarce in somewhat remote Alaska than most of the Continental United States?

It looks very durable regardless of rifle caliber used. Very nice finished product! Happy shooting. Dial 'er in and do what you do. A 30-06 at 1200 yards "confirmed" is a great accomplishment. Oops...

Good Luck

HAWK

PS: If you would, please post a picture of the target after final dialing in on the glass. If possible include rifle spec w/ barrel length and type action, caliber, bullet
    configuration, bullet weight, powder type/gn's used, firing distance, windage elevation, mark the 1st shot (flyer(s)) and other pertinent specs.

If you want pm me and I'll send my email address if you'd rather not post this information on a public forum.

THANKS!!!
    Last edited by HAWK; 04-17-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Very nicely done!
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Hey 11b,
    Nice job & design. Here are a few variations I make. The most popular is the "field" unit with detachable bench base. It can be used on a bench or in the field & has a belt clip to carry easily & adjustable for prone or sitting. Maybe give you a few ideas....

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Default Thanks

Thank you Gentlemen.
    I hate seeing inferior junk from china overwhelm our shelves, so if I can, I do without it or make it.
    Yorkiepap, I did see your rest and they are really cool, light and fast looking. I really like the way you did the feet.
    Hawk when I start shooting I can send you some pics. I'm really not a "bench rest shooter" I shoot IPSC and used to shoot service rifle a long time ago in the Army. I love to play around and see how accurate I can get that's for sure. I love to reload and make cast bullets. Are you a bench rest shooter? I could use some of your loads
    Thank you for the comments.
    Last edited by 11b; 04-17-2011 at 12:24 PM.