Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Pipe Roller Jack Stand Project

I finished my pipe roller jack stands. Turned out okay although I wasn't happy with all my welding beads (will I ever be?).

I turned the wheels on my lathe. I think I can work on pipe up to about 24" in diameter although I'd want to use a safety strap with my overhead hoist to be safe about it. Inner pipe is 2 3/8. Outer pipe is 2 7/8. Legs are 1" pipe. Wheels are about 4" in diameter with 1/2" pins and there are two spacings they can be set at.

I used to hate jigging up tripod type projects, but after doing a few of them, I learned to enjoy doing the geometry and have a bit of patience.

I had some vinyl transfers left over from another project, so I put those on to impress everyone. I have four other jack stands with four flat plate heads and four V-heads, but they always seem to be tied up when I'm working on a gate or something and need to cut/weld/blend another piece of pipe. So, I think I'm good for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Default 2 thumbs up!

Those look very nice, very professional, buy why no fine adjustment?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default pipe roller jack stand

Consider me among those impressed ;o) great work!!

projects like this are the reason why i keep coming back here, thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    Those look very nice, very professional, buy why no fine adjustment?
    I think most jack stands come with fine screw adjustments to make them versatile. You can get different heads for various applications. I'm sure they get used for a wide variety of things.

I have fine screw adjustment on my other four jacks but I only find myself using them with the flat plate heads. A good example is making a gate. I use the fine adjustment to make everything good and level. With the V-heads, I rarely ever use fine adjustment. I'll use my roller heads to prep pipe - mainly for fencing work around the ranch, so no need for them.

Also, the screw adjustments tend to add some instability to the heads. I like the feel of the heads not wobbling around hence the set screw you see on these jacks. When they are locked down, they are steady as a rock.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

those are some great looking stands you got there. I'd pay for a set thats for sure! very professional looking. I always enjoy the geometry of jigging something up. great mental work out and helps you feel like you really put some thought in not just eyeballed and welded some steel together.
    Miller Digital Elite inferno
    Miller MP-10 passive helmet
    Hobart Stickmate 250/160 ac/dc

*****n!
    Miller 330 BPA - Sold
    Miller 180SD Syncrowave - Sold
    Miller Aircrafter 330ST - Sold
    Miller 351 Syncrowave - Sold
    Miller CP-300
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller 135 Millermatic
    Miller Spectrum 250D (Now running strong!)

Those look really nice!

I'd really like to have a set of those!
    http://www.dkGoodrich.com
    EFI Tuning Solutions
    106lb/min 11k RPM 1.8l

Wow...those are really nice

Looks really nice and sturdy, i dont think our rigid stands are that nice. the only thing I would have done was add a why to stop the wheels unless that is not nessary for what your doing with them, or i missed it in the pictures. But they look great.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

Great work, total pro, great looking rollers, awesome paint.

Gord