Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Paint Prep

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    730

    Default Paint Prep

    Ok, I just finished my trailer and I need some painting advice.

    1. How do I prep the steel? Is wire wheeling it sufficient or is sanding necessary?

    2. Do I have to use a primer or is there a glossy non fading paint that does not require primer on steel? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

    3. I want to use a sponge type roller to apply the finish because I do not have a place to spray.

    Thanks,
    Nick

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Crete Illinois
    Posts
    186

    Default paint prep

    Kiwi..if youre going to use a roller to appy id go with rustoleum by the gallon....it lays out awesome as long as the temp is at or above 70 deg....painted my pole building with it looks great with minimal prep.If you're using brand new steel id scuff it with some 180/220 grit on a DA dual action sander and paint away..as long as the steel is clean.If its got some grease or other stuff on it maybe wipe it down with cheap enamel reducer or prepsol.......the enamel reducer is usually cheaper.Hope this helps.
    Jim uhohjim1@aol.com
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohjim View Post
    Kiwi..if youre going to use a roller to appy id go with rustoleum by the gallon....it lays out awesome as long as the temp is at or above 70 deg....painted my pole building with it looks great with minimal prep.If you're using brand new steel id scuff it with some 180/220 grit on a DA dual action sander and paint away..as long as the steel is clean.If its got some grease or other stuff on it maybe wipe it down with cheap enamel reducer or prepsol.......the enamel reducer is usually cheaper.Hope this helps.
    Jim uhohjim1@aol.com
    Thanks Jim. Is the Rustoleum fade resistant?
    Thanks again,
    Nick

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Crete Illinois
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Thanks Jim. Is the Rustoleum fade resistant?
    Thanks again,
    Nick
    Kiwi.I've had it on my building.in the weather and it still shines pretty well........thats 3 years later.........when i redeck my car trailer this year I'll be usint it for the repaint....plus it comes in a good variety of custom colors they can mix up for you.By the way the only prep i did on my building was to sweep it off and hose it down a little....and the paint is stickin just fine. Short of doing autmotive type prep on your trailer.......scuff,prime,scuff paint.........I think you'll be happy with the rustoleum...you can lay it right on and it lasts..
    Jim uhohjim1@aol.com
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Crete Illinois
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uhohjim View Post
    Kiwi.I've had it on my building.in the weather and it still shines pretty well........thats 3 years later.........when i redeck my car trailer this year I'll be usint it for the repaint....plus it comes in a good variety of custom colors they can mix up for you.By the way the only prep i did on my building was to sweep it off and hose it down a little....and the paint is stickin just fine. Short of doing autmotive type prep on your trailer.......scuff,prime,scuff paint.........I think you'll be happy with the rustoleum...you can lay it right on and it lasts..
    Jim uhohjim1@aol.com
    And most Menards stores have rustoleum mixing systems.

    Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belmont, NC
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Kiwi,
    I just finished a cage to store Oxygen and a Liquid Oxygen machine. I painted it using a high pressure gun with Rustoleum cutting it with paint thinner. The only prep I did was wiping the entire structure with denatured alcohol. The finish shines very nicely.

    As far as not having a place to paint, if you have a garage just line it with plastic and have a heat source and you should be fine.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    179

    Default

    I haven't used this product but it may be something you will want to check out, it's called Penetrol. http://faculty.icc.edu/eockerhausen/tips.asp
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

    American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

    America is a Union

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Posts
    51

    Default

    I have been using the Rustolum Hard hat brand or Rustolum industrial coatings for several years. They dry faster than the standard Rustolum and are thinned with Acetone or xylean which makes them flash off even faster. Since I have to paint most things outside faster drying keeps the bugs from sticking so bad. I found the best deal at Lows but almost any paint store that sell Rustolum can get it. The Hammered finish is great for hiding less than perfact surfaces and small mistakes in paint application. I use either Rustolum or Hammerite Hammered finish. Both seem to be the same formula I just buy whichever one is less $$. I have been using Imperial paints red oxide primer. Unfortunately it is a spray only coating so that won’t help you. The Hammerite or Rustolum primer are good alternatives but dry slowly when applied with a brush or roller. The Rustolum Hard Hat is better that the standard Rustolum primer. Hammerite and Rustolum are available in Gallon cans.

    Paul

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.