Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    northern NJ
    Posts
    1,820

    Default Propane instead of acetylene

    Thought I would start this as some of us will have to switch over from acetylene due to the shortage/price increase. I have never used propane always acetylene. Maybe some of you who use propane regularly can add to it.

    Needed to switch over -- propane tips, grade T hoses in place of grade R, regs should be fine, regulator adapter to fit propane tank.

    What size tank is recommended? Does propane have draw down issues with large rosebuds like acetylene does?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    483

    Default

    People use R hoses for years with no problem. Self included

    Unless you have a small acetylene tank your regulator probably has a CGA-510 fitting which screws into a BBQ propane cylinder just fine.

    Does propane have draw down issues with large rosebuds like acetylene does?
    No. That's another nice thing about it. You can toss a jug in your truck and it can slosh around without the problems of acetone in an acetylene cylinder. Great for salvage runs.

    I use both acetylene and propane (ended up with a bunch of acetylene cylinders free/cheap so I exchanged them) and am fine with either. You may prefer a larger propane tip for improved preheat.

    There are LOTS of CHEAP LP tips on Fleabay and they've been there a while.

    They aren't mine, I already gorged all I need for a few years. Just grab a selection and play.

    They are mostly Victor and Harris style, but torches are cheap enough you could easily get a cutting torch for each tip style to take advantage of cheap tips. That's what I did, and my Oxweld/Purox/Linde/Harris/Victor/Smith torches mostly cost me less than the postage.
    Last edited by 1930case; 04-08-2011 at 08:47 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Warren PA
    Posts
    103

    Default

    a BBQ propane tank will outlast at least a couple oxygen bottles. I think im on my fourth oxygen bottle to 1 bbq propane tank, but im not using the large O2 bottle.

    im also still running the R grade hoses, i have the new ones in the drawer, but have not switched them out yet. From what i understand the danger isnt so much in a leak, but from the rubber inside the hose breaking down/flaking off and clogging your torch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youfoundtheking View Post
    im also still running the R grade hoses, i have the new ones in the drawer, but have not switched them out yet. From what i understand the danger isn't so much in a leak, but from the rubber inside the hose breaking down/flaking off and clogging your torch.
    When the hose breaks down what do you think will happen to it? It will probably rupture and leak propane, probably not a good idea.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

    at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Technically R is verboten by code, so buy T-rated hose if worried. An R-rating doesn't automatically mean acetylene will eat that particular hose.

    For the heck of it I'll soak some of the next hunk of R hose I have left over in straight liquid acetone (I mix acetone with leftover ATF for outstanding penetrant!) in a glass jar to see if it gets munched.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mount Clemens,Mi
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1930case View Post
    Technically R is verboten by code, so buy T-rated hose if worried. An R-rating doesn't automatically mean acetylene will eat that particular hose.

    For the heck of it I'll soak some of the next hunk of R hose I have left over in straight liquid acetone (I mix acetone with leftover ATF for outstanding penetrant!) in a glass jar to see if it gets munched.
    What does acetone have to do with the grade of hose used or acetylene ?

    Grade R,RM or T is for Acetylene

    Grade T hose can also be used for MAPP Propane, Propylene or any similar fuel gas and also acetylene!
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Atl, Ga
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PTsideshow View Post
    What does acetone have to do with the grade of hose used or acetylene ?
    There's a porous filler and liquid acetone inside an acetylene tank even if it reads empty. They are not constructed like any other gas cylinders. Acetylene tanks are unique to acetylene. Over 15 psi acetylene is unstable in gaseous form so it's dissolved "in solution" in the acetone so they can fill the tank to ~250ish psi. The acetylene gases out of solution from the acetone when you open the tank valve sort of like how the CO2 bubbles form when you open a can of soda pop. Ever see those little blue flecks in the flame if you try to run an acetylene torch just after the cylinder has been bumped around? That's liquid acetone. Acetone and most rubber/plastic products don't play well together.

    I thought this was common knowledge?
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default Are we sure about the regulators?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Thought I would start this as some of us will have to switch over from acetylene due to the shortage/price increase. I have never used propane always acetylene. Maybe some of you who use propane regularly can add to it.

    Needed to switch over -- propane tips, grade T hoses in place of grade R, regs should be fine, regulator adapter to fit propane tank.

    What size tank is recommended? Does propane have draw down issues with large rosebuds like acetylene does?

    Quote Originally Posted by youfoundtheking View Post
    a BBQ propane tank will outlast at least a couple oxygen bottles. I think im on my fourth oxygen bottle to 1 bbq propane tank, but im not using the large O2 bottle.

    im also still running the R grade hoses, i have the new ones in the drawer, but have not switched them out yet. From what i understand the danger isnt so much in a leak, but from the rubber inside the hose breaking down/flaking off and clogging your torch.
    Quote Originally Posted by c wagner View Post
    When the hose breaks down what do you think will happen to it? It will probably rupture and leak propane, probably not a good idea.
    [QUOTE=1930case;263046]Technically R is verboten by code, so buy T-rated hose if worried. An R-rating doesn't automatically mean acetylene will eat that particular hose.


    Quote Originally Posted by PTsideshow View Post
    What does acetone have to do with the grade of hose used or acetylene ?

    Grade R,RM or T is for Acetylene

    Grade T hose can also be used for MAPP Propane, Propylene or any similar fuel gas and also acetylene!
    Hi Guys,
    I was talking to Linde here in Toronto to see about getting my "B" tanks filled.
    He said there supply was still Ok, but that it could change any given week...

    I asked him about propane, and he mentioned the hose thing, different tips if you need the high heat, and he also mentioned the regulator(s), which makes sense.
    Regulators have rubber diaphrams, so if the "R" hose they use for acetelyne need to be changed, why would you assume the rubber in the regulator(s) would be OK?
    My first thought is they would use the same rubber as the hose....

    So untill I verified the material used for the regulator diaphrams, I wouldn't assume that it is Ok.

    I'm not saying that it isn't, just don't want to see anyone get hurt...

    Hobbynut

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mount Clemens,Mi
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    There's a porous filler and liquid acetone inside an acetylene tank even if it reads empty. They are not constructed like any other gas cylinders. Acetylene tanks are unique to acetylene. Over 15 psi acetylene is unstable in gaseous form so it's dissolved "in solution" in the acetone so they can fill the tank to ~250ish psi. The acetylene gases out of solution from the acetone when you open the tank valve sort of like how the CO2 bubbles form when you open a can of soda pop. Ever see those little blue flecks in the flame if you try to run an acetylene torch just after the cylinder has been bumped around? That's liquid acetone. Acetone and most rubber/plastic products don't play well together.

    I thought this was common knowledge?
    I understand that, but soaking the hose in acetone and transmission fluid is silly as that isn't even remotely a fair test. Secondly it is the components in the other fuel gases that cause the problems with the deterioration of the hoses and cause leaking and catastrophic failure of the hose, and possible fire etc. Like most deterioration of leaks it sneaks up on you and bites you when you least expect it!

    The only time there is carry over of the acetone from a cylinder is if it used on it side, or not letting the acetone reabsorb in to the Agamassan, Which is the name of the monolithic filler material. After it has been transported on it side, or using it below 25 to 50PSIG the low pressure cause the acetone to be carried over with the gas.

    The open area under the valve neck is about 3" dia and 5 " deep this is the area that the acetylene comes out of suspension. In addition to the damage to the hoses, the seal and o rings can be damaged in the regulator. And flaming drops of acetone can come off the tip of the torch.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wetaskiwin, Alberta
    Posts
    97

    Default propane rosebud

    My preference is using propane with a rosebud. I have both acetylene and propane on the truck and always use the propane with the rosebud. I do not remember the stats but I do know that a given weight of propane will produce more heat than acetylene. I still prefer using acetylene for cutting and only use propane for back-up.

    Byron

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137