Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Clutch replacement BMW

Does anyone have any experience with BMWs? I need to change the clutch in a 97 328ic. Any tips, tricks, and special procedures are greatly appreciated.
    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

I used to work at the BMW franchise back in the late 90's. I know that they are very very finicky about correct alignment when you reassemble them. Also the Guibo Joints have a tendency to wear rather quickly too. The guibo is a rubber U joint kind of deal that comes compressed with a steel ring till you install it and release the ring. Othe than that, common shop practices prevail, clean and tight is the way to go. Make sire you inspect the flywheel closely and get it milled if it has bluing or surface cracks. Good luck and shoot some pics while your doing it.
    Bob

I probably wont take any pictures, sorry. How hard is it to remove the upper bolts that hold the transmission to the block? I am working with the car on jack stands.

Default BMW Clutch

How did it go? The last post was a while ago so I assume you got it done. If you have not - I've pulled three transmissions out of the E36 chassis (all on jack stands) and it's not too bad. The last time I did it I had the transmission on the ground in 2 hrs. The top bolts on the transmission are very nerve racking. I use three 10" extensions and it takes a good 1/4 turn before you get traction to bust them loose. The part that took the longest time (the first time) is the clip that holds the ****er to the transmission. Sometimes called the "***** clip". There is a really good write-up with pictures on the web somewhere. Find it - it will save you a ton of time, agrevation, and skinned knuckles.

It was a pain. We ended up puting it on a lift. The clutch disk got ruined because the haynes manual was incorect-put in backwards-so we had to take it apart a second time and get the original clutch relined.