Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default No twist on steel frames

Can some one post pictures of your weld tables? I need to make 12ea. 6X8 ft, patio wrought iron doors.I using 2"X4"X.120"wall tubing for frame , & 3/4" solid sq. steel + some 3/4" twisted ,just need some info how to hold the frame nice & square and not twisted as I tack & weld all together .Do I Fab all on the table ?

when I weld any sort of a frame I clamp tubing across all of the corners when I am tacking it all together to ensure that all sides are in the same plane. So far it's worked great everytime. I welded a aluminum railing that was about 26 feet long and you could look down each side and see it was perfectly in line the wholel way down.
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    Can some one post pictures of your weld tables? I need to make 12ea. 6X8 ft, patio wrought iron doors.I using 2"X4"X.120"wall tubing for frame , & 3/4" solid sq. steel + some 3/4" twisted ,just need some info how to hold the frame nice & square and not twisted as I tack & weld all together .Do I Fab all on the table ?

I don't have pics of my tables available right this minute, but I can tell you what they are. I took a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/8" plate and had the supplier shear it 2.5' from one end. That leaves one piece 30" x 48" and the other piece 48" x 66". I made two tables the SAME height on casters. They are framed underneath with 3" x 3" x 1/4" angle iron set in 3" from the edge for clamping This allows a lot of flexability for larger projects since the tables can be moved together giving a 4' x 8' surface or they can be separated by several feet for longer stuff.

Your door frames are big. They would need a larger table than mine, but you could get a 6' x 10' sheet of 3/8" or 1/2" (thicker would be even better) plate and build a table large enough for what you are doing. If I were going that route, I'd get a good flat plate to begin with and frame the under side with heavy angle or channel. Don't overdo the welding on the frame. The more you weld the more you will cause warpage. Just some good spots around will do what's needed.

I'd clamp or tack all of the door frame pieces to the table while welding. Also, don't weld too long in any one place on the frame. Move around and keep the heat spread out. Those are going to some heavy doors for sure. Post pics as you progress with them.
    Jim

Hello Star. I'm in Bosque too. Where are you located.

Im a mile across the res. line on the east side ,going north,of Hwy.47,across Superior Towing, have a white pipe fence ,redish mobile home, a sign has "bales for sale" .Stop by or need some alfalfa??