Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finally built a welder cart!

I finally had enough of seeing my setup on an industrial cart so I decided to get off my butt and make one. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out although I am already thinking of adding some small hoops for strapping the feeder down with, and after seeing pics of it maybe a blue paint job instead of the flat black I had on the shelf. Here are some pics. Let me know what y`all think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Too dark to tell...

crawler30,

I guess it is fine. i can't really give you much feed back as the photos are too dark to see much. The black definitely does NOT cut it. Gotta go blue! Shed some light and I'll give ya some feedback.Ii am almost 50, welded most of my life, and have a hard time seeing anything without a good arc and 2.5+ cheater.

Good Luck

HAWK

Default welding cart

looks good to me i am curentley in the idea stage for my cart this will give me some good direction to run twards

I am going to paint it tomorrow if I get time, the flat black did not come out the way I figured. And I have to take the power source off anyway to drill the mounting holes, I was just in a hurry to get it done and forgot about mocking up for the holes. One of my lights went out in the shop so I guess I might try to bring a camera with a flash with me to take better pics. I will try to get some of it empty too. I took those with my phone.

First of all, the machine you have is one of the best early model inverters still in operation today. It will last you a lifetime if you take good care of it.

The cart looks OK. Built solid & looks pretty clean. I'm with HAWK, pretty hard to make it all out due to the poor lighting.

I would think about solid wheels in place of the rear ones you have on it now. Over time, those type of wheels tend to go flat, or get punctured. On a device such as a hand truck (where it only carries a dead load over short distances & periods of time) that's ok, just seen a lot of wheels like this crap out over time when supporting dead loads.

The Maxtron isn't necessarily heavy, but coupled with a cylinder & the 60M feeder, it adds up.

I have built several sets of running gear for machines & have learned that the biggest mistake a lot of people make is not using durable enough wheels. (I learned that lesson myself the hard way). After some time, they give out, leaving you to unload everything off the unit to fix the problem, at of course, the least opportune time. The front ones look ok.

Phenolic wheels are a very good choice for moderate to heavy use running gear. They hold their shape very well, can carry & support heavy loads without distortion & hold up very well to grease, oils, etc. Ebay's the place to look for them cheap.

I like having a little extra space on the top tray to hold welpers, chipping hammer, etc. Your cord wraps are clean & function well by the looks of it. Got one for the input power cord?

NOT taking any shots at your work, it's looks pretty good.

Just something to consider. I've built a few machine carts & learned what to do & not to. If you wanted some ideas for your next one, I have some pix in my album on this site. I'm no expert by far, but made a few that turned out pretty good.

Burn some wire with that 450. It was built for it & does it very well
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

The pneumatic will be getting filled with foam soon, I was going to buy some of the solid rubber ones but the cheapest I found were $55 a set. I got these for $5 at HF, for now they will have to do. The front ones are steel with a bearing (without a grease fitting) but they will last a while I think. I wanted some steel with a rubber tread but the only ones local had huge locks and I would have had to put them way outside the frame to use them. So in time they will be changed too when I can afford it or find a good deal. I am not sure what you were asking about having a tie wrap on my input cord? Do you mean a strain relief or something? I had to tie up the gas hose, feeder cord, positive cable but there is no tie on the input. I know nobody likes to have their welding cables wrapped tight but seeing as I had to wrap stick leads and keep them safe and stored til use I felt it was a good option. They are out of the way til I need them and are not just dangling off the cart so that was done by choice. I put the little bumper in the front to protect all the input/output lines from getting smashed if I accidentally bump the cart into something. All the lines run inside the frame and then up to the connections so they are not hanging all over the place. I thought about making a drawer that folds out at an angle kinda like a pocket file, and set it just above each cable on the side but I dont have any sheet metal and it can be added later if I feel like it.
    I Like the Maxtron, I have had it about 5-6 yrs now and with the amount of use it sees I hope to have it around a while longer. And yes it does run some wire and well. In fact it sticks nice too. Havent tried tig yet but eventually, just on a bit of a budget at the moment.
    Well hopefully I will have some more pics to post of the new paint job later.

Here are the pics of the new paint and the cart empty. As soon as it dries I will add to the pile of pics. The lighting is no different but the blue sure shows up alot better. Amazing what paint can do for taking a pic. And it actually looks better too I think.FILE0043.jpgFILE0045.jpgFILE0047.jpg

The old pix did it no justice.

Looks really nice now that it can be completely seen.

The cord wrap I was referring to is the same thing you wind up your lead on, just for the cord that plugs in to the wall. Didn't know if you had it directly connected to a power box or with a long cord you can connect to several outlets.

I have been pricing the solid tires too for something I'm working on & yes, they are pricey.

The phenolic wheels I mentioned look like the ones in the following pix. They are the rear wheels. They can be purchased as the wheel alone, these came from ebay & were quite reasonable. They are very durable. I happen to like them better than anything else I have used in the past.

Good looking cart. Glad you posted the new pics.

So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Default this site still sucks

im not going to bring up a pic at a time
    if miller cant up date this site im going
    to buy lincoln

Much nicer pics: Great paint and lighting too! I must agree the old pics did your work no justice. I also must agree the Maxtron is a great inverter: Old but true blue. Nice completed project and fine craftsmanship as well!!!