Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mig guns

Default Mig guns

Anyone try a Bernard Q gun inplace of a M25?

Anybody tried a search for Bernard Q Guns?

MUCH has been discussed, to include converting an M25 to Bernard front end consumables.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Default Right Stuff

Hey guys,

Miller makes some nice GMAW guns. I have been using a 450 amp gun for years (20+). However, Bernard has the RIGHT STUFF in their Q series. Check out their link. It can be hard to locate sometimes: http://www.bernardwelds.com/service/specs.html
    Last edited by HAWK; 03-26-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Cool Working at the moment

Well,

The Bernard site seems to fade in and out. I think it has something to do with loading Adobe Acrobat Reader. It has been this way for several years. I have had many a discussion with sales reps in hopes of getting word back to a Bernard tech in the right place. Oh well. It is still a GREAT product!
    Last edited by HAWK; 03-26-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Punctiation probs.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Anybody tried a search for Bernard Q Guns?

MUCH has been discussed, to include converting an M25 to Bernard front end consumables.
    I have never tried converting a Miller gun to the Bernard front end guts, but I don't think it hurts to have at least a "few" extra guns in the shop. I always leave extra guns ready to weld on the truck. Good paying customers should not have to pay for down time, but... I have never had a Bernard or Miller gun go down-maybe a contact tip here and there. Just regular maintenance-of course.

I have not tried the smaller qguns but I do have a q400 That I use regularly and I like it way better than the Tweco`s I have used for years. I think it is more comfortable. The tips last longer and the gas difuser also because there are no threads to gall up or wear out. The only downside is that the tip stick out is not adjustable aside form either grinding a nozzle down or buying an assortment of tips and nozzles. I tend to run flush all the time anyway so it is not too big a deal for me. Anyway, I like the Bernards better than any others I have used overall.

We have an assortment of leads at our shop, a few magnums, a couple miller rough necks, and mostly bernards. All the guns are converted to bernard center fire style. We have very little problems with them. I replace the tip when i run a roll of wire out and it burns into the tip, but that is normally the only time i have to replace it. They recently changed the nozzle design the insulation does not come as far out so when you clean it it does not get tore up making the nozzles last longer. as far as gun style i like the the rough neck c series it is slimer than the bernards. Both seem to hold up very well. most of our leads are going on six years old being drug around on a suit case in and out of tanks. so they take a beating. The magnums do not seem to hold up as well. I do not like them much at all. But i would say if your thinking of going to bernards you would not be disapointed, or at least bernard consumables.

Hmmmm I must get busy making an adapter to mount my centerfire to my old Millermatic 35. Hearing all of the good reviews about the centerfires only makes me want to get using mine all the more. Now if I could only figure out how to invent time, time to make the adapter is hard for me to come by.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Thumbs up Busy !

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Hmmmm I must get busy making an adapter to mount my centerfire to my old Millermatic 35. Hearing all of the good reviews about the centerfires only makes me want to get using mine all the more. Now if I could only figure out how to invent time, time to make the adapter is hard for me to come by.
    Blondie;

Busy is good, It sure beats Not being busy . lol .

.........Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Check your LWS we go through gts/welco for everything and they were able to come up with a conversion for all of our guns.