Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Got my welding table done! - pics

I have been planning this table for about 6 months. Naturally when I finally get the money together to buy the plate, the price of steel goes through the roof. It's only money right? I can make more.

It's a 5' x 10', 34 inches high.

I cut 6 slots on one end to use for clamping, and based it on the clamp used on the Miller ArcStation. For each slot I cut one 1-1/4" hole and one 3/4" hole, all with a bi-metal holesaws. I then used oxy-propane and a track cutter to cut the slot between the two holes, the slot is 3/4 wide.

I used 2-5/16" hitch balls for the adjustable feet. My shop floor is less than level.

I welcome all comments, and respectful critiques. Thanks!

It looks great! I would have never thought of using the hitch balls for leveling feet but it is a great idea. Where did you find the clamp that fits in the slots?

Now that you have it finished and start using it you'll find yourself constantly improving it such as adding provisions for storing your welding clamps, a place to put your MIG gun and so forth.

I also like that big heavy yellow thing you have in the corner, I have one as well but mine is blue!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

whats the thickness? did it distort much when you cut the slots?

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    It looks great! I would have never thought of using the hitch balls for leveling feet but it is a great idea. Where did you find the clamp that fits in the slots?

Now that you have it finished and start using it you'll find yourself constantly improving it such as adding provisions for storing your welding clamps, a place to put your MIG gun and so forth.

I also like that big heavy yellow thing you have in the corner, I have one as well but mine is blue!
    I wish I could take credit for the hitch balls but I saw the idea either on this forum or one of the other fab forums a long time ago.

I got the clamp from miller. They are about 40 a piece and are used on there ArcStation welding table. Now that I have one I will make my own version with different features.

I have a list of mods I will be doing over time, recieiver tubes for removable vises, mig gun holder, different clamps for the slots, storage, etc etc.

I love my old Airco. Other than the cost of adding a 100amp service just for the welder! That thing is a welding beast.
    Last edited by jbyrd; 03-26-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    whats the thickness? did it distort much when you cut the slots?
    I used 1/2 inch plate. And I can detect no distortion from cutting the slots. I went slow and took my time, allowing for cooling between cutting.

That's a great looking table. Those slots will come in handy in all sorts of ways.

My only concern would be the hitch as a self leveling foot. And the only reason for the concern is the way it concentrates the weight in such a small footprint. I'd worry that hard hammer blows might damage whatever floor surface I'm working on. But you might not do as much 'persuading' as I tend to -- I have to make up for a lot of my own mistakes.

Smart to round the corners, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    My only concern would be the hitch as a self leveling foot. And the only reason for the concern is the way it concentrates the weight in such a small footprint.
    Thanks Jack, this same concern came up over on WeldingWeb as well. Maybe I can get your input on these calculations. Each ball has a flat spot with an area of 1.23 square inches. My calculations are with a the table weight 1400lbs then each leg is supporting 350 lbs. With 1.23 sq inches of the ball on each leg contacting the cement then there is 284.5 lbs per square inch on the floor.

Thoughts?

Well, I'm no engineer. So take this with a grain of salt. But my worry would come with spike loads -- if you're hammering on the table, and the closest leg is transferring big spikes of force down to that surface area (which is what, a little bigger than a quarter?), which then transfers that force to a small section of the concrete.

I was assuming that the hitch had a sphere-like surface where it contacted the concrete. But if it's flattened, it's definitely less of an issue. And the bigger that flat area gets, the better it will work.

Then again, adjustable feet with impact-absorbing material are pretty cheap.

EDIT: Here's a set on ebay.

But again, my worry might be baseless.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 03-26-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Where did you get those miller clamps? Is that something you can order separate?

I'd like to slot mine as well.

Table looks good by the way.
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch