Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Project painting

I am new to this Forum, but see a lot of good information. I am really curious to find out what guys are painting their projects with. I just finished 150' of railing for some town home balcony rails and am looking for a good paint. I have used automotive paints as well as the good ole rustoleum. I would like to find out what everyone is having the best luck with.

thanks.

Cool

Powder coat if its indoors. Oil base paint (Valspar) from the TSC farm store if its for outside or too big to powder coat. I found that here in NE Ohio the powder coat dosen't hold up well or the powder doesn't get back between my scrolls or twisted metal and shows rust pretty soon. I have better luck with the paint. I have 3 projects one powder coated one sprayed with oil base and one with water base. And the one that has held up the best was painted with Rustoleum water base paint. The powder coated one rusted bad at ground level and chipped bad on the corners of the square bar. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    I am new to this Forum, but see a lot of good information. I am really curious to find out what guys are painting their projects with. I just finished 150' of railing for some town home balcony rails and am looking for a good paint. I have used automotive paints as well as the good ole rustoleum. I would like to find out what everyone is having the best luck with.

thanks.
    I have had very good results with Rustolem out doors because it has fish oil in it and it closes up the microscopic holes in the surface of the paint.
    i have had steel painted sculptures that last 10 years before needing any maintenience.

I also use rustoleum. Spray it with my paint gun. The key to a long lasting job is prepping it before painting. It must be clean. I always wire brush & scrape if needed then wipe it down with lacquer thinner right before I paint. One coat primer then topcoat following the instructions on the can. When painting don't skimp on the paint when you lay it on. Make sure you don't miss any areas or have thin spots. It is a protective coating more than anything.

A good paint job is not cheap. Some of my customers don't understand this. They think a quick spray can job is just as good.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Ive been using the TSC red primer and gloss black implement paint through a cheap spray gun. Works very well and is pretty cost effective, just make sure to get the metal clean and ready for paint and shoot away. I keep both guns filled and use a couple of 1/4 nuts in the resevoir to agitate the sprayer just before I use it. If I dont plan on painting for a while I empty the paint and fill the guns with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner and call it good.
    Bob