Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PTO Welder?

Question PTO Welder?

I was browsing a website the other day that sells generators that attach to the PTO of a tractor. That got me thinking,why couldn't a welder be built that does the same thing? I think it would be good for occassional uses around a farm or whatever,plus you wouldn't have another engine to buy and maintain. I would buy one. Just a thought.

Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

I was thinking of something you could mount on a three point and attach it to a 540 RPM PTO. The Zena might work,I'll study it further later today. The Premier would be great in my Jeep though.

What many pipe line taking rigs do is mount 6 or more old bullet Lincoln welders to the back of a bulldozer, remove the electric motors off them and belt drive them off a PTO.

These old bullets are die hard machines, really cheap and if you gear them right will run just fine off your tractor PTO.

Lincoln made a welder head that you could belt to anything. You could run it off of a tractor or whatever. I knew a guy that had one mounted in the back of a Willys jeep and ran it off the pto box on the jeep. Pretty neat setup.

Steve
    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
    HH 140.
    Miller Big 40.
    Lincoln SAE 200J.
    Hobart GR-303.
    Lincoln tombstone welder.
    TD Cutmaster 52.
    Hobart Stickmate.
    Miller 211 w/ Spoolgun.
    Lincoln SA 200.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    What many pipe line taking rigs do is mount 6 or more old bullet Lincoln welders to the back of a bulldozer, remove the electric motors off them and belt drive them off a PTO.

These old bullets are die hard machines, really cheap and if you gear them right will run just fine off your tractor PTO.
    Haha I worked off one of those tack rigs for a while back when I first broke out. They worked pretty good as long as the cat skinner didn't mess with his throttle once ou started welding. Didn't matter where you set your heat, if the guy's foot slipped off of the declerater you got pretty hot pretty fast. The one I worked on was set up on an old D-7 9U
    Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

I'd like to see a pic of that.

Sometimes the "official" SAs for PTO use turn up on Ebay. Basically the same thing.