Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rainy day project.

Working on a small sculpture.
    Here are 3 views of the sculpture.

Green in-Green out.

I can't say I know much about art, but it looks pretty cool. Are those part of old bike frames?

Looks like Donald had several "rainy days".

Followed by a few nightmares I might add.

(PS, in case anyone wonders, I'm NOT a student of the arts)
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chibrew View Post
    I can't say I know much about art, but it looks pretty cool. Are those part of old bike frames?
    Those pieces of metal were left over from many welding projects.

About this art thing.
    You do not need to have a formal education to appreciate art.
    When abstract art was first viewed by the public like David Smith and Jackson Pollak it was a break through because you did not have to know the culture and the stories of another country or civilzation to enjoy the art.

The art was about itself, other words what you were looking at was it. It has no hidden meaning.

It is just the shapes, colors ,textures, and form that can make it appealing.
    It is about the transitions between the parts and how the edges are delt with etc.,.
    Abstract art is not an attempt to make and animal, a house or anything.
    It is what it was intended to be nothing else.

It may remind you of a bridge or something, and that is one foot into reality, but you can get over that too.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Looks like Donald had several "rainy days".

Followed by a few nightmares I might add.

(PS, in case anyone wonders, I'm NOT a student of the arts)
    i'm telling ya Sundown it's in the weld smoke. i just gota figr out what makes that kinda smoke and get me some.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Art, like beauty, is "In the eye of the beholder".
    I guess I'm not beholding.........
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

About this art thing.
    When abstract art was first viewed by the public like David Smith and Jackson Pollak it was a break through because you did not have to know the culture and the stories of another country or civilzation to enjoy the art.

there is a saying, a cliche, in the art community regarding uneducated observers of abstract art; it goes, paraphrased 'i don't know about art, but i know what i like'.

jackson pollock (correct sp) and smith two different artists working in two different mediums. smith was first a minimalist and later on some of his sculptures were viewed is representative of the abstract expressionist movement. to give these two credit for the creation of an artistic style does an injustice to the many movements and artists that came before them. fauves, cubists etc. (picasso comes to mind)

i am not trying to belittle your garden sculpture, you are free to call it what you will, craft maybe, but it is most definitely not art in the pure sense. do you feel it has the same impact as say picasso's visual powerhouse 'guernica'?

i have been to two exhibitions of smith's and several that displayed the works of abstract expressionists. you do them a disservice in saying that what they have produced is to be studied on only one superficial level.

could go on but this is hardly the venue. what is good is to create and enjoy yourself while you're at it, something you appear to be doing.

fdc,

Man I'm glad you shed some light on what art is.

I thought the OP was just having a "bad dream".
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    Art, like beauty, is "In the eye of the beholder".
    I guess I'm not beholding.........
    The only trouble with that saying is, that some people have not beheld very much.

Like if you asked a person that lived on one street in the same town his entire life what was the most beautiful house he had ever seen. He might say the 3 house from mine.

Only problem is he has not seen many houses since he had never been anywhere.

See what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by fdcmiami View Post
    About this art thing.

there is a saying, a cliche, in the art community regarding uneducated observers of abstract art; it goes, paraphrased 'i don't know about art, but i know what i like'.

jackson pollock (correct sp) and smith two different artists working in two different mediums. smith was first a minimalist and later on some of his sculptures were viewed is representative of the abstract expressionist movement. to give these two credit for the creation of an artistic style does an injustice to the many movements and artists that came before them. fauves, cubists etc. (picasso comes to mind)

i am not trying to belittle your garden sculpture, you are free to call it what you will, craft maybe, but it is most definitely not art in the pure sense. do you feel it has the same impact as say picasso's visual powerhouse 'guernica'?

i have been to two exhibitions of smith's and several that displayed the works of abstract expressionists. you do them a disservice in saying that what they have produced is to be studied on only one superficial level.

could go on but this is hardly the venue. what is good is to create and enjoy yourself while you're at it, something you appear to be doing.
    Thanks for that correct spelling for Jackson pollack.

Guess you would not care for the work of Robert Hudson then.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-21-2011 at 03:40 PM.