Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default What is the difference between the new lincoln SAE 300 and a classic 300D?

Hello all forum members, I just got a email from lincoln electric describing a "new" Sae 300 with a perkins diesel. I tried to search this forum and didnt get any hit on it yet. What is the difference between the two machines? I was able to read that the 300D has the custom arc thingy that you can dial in the machines arc to the sweet spot. I also read that the new Sae has a Copper reactor , Is this the same reactor technology in the New Big Red lincoln and the small rangers? I was just wondering if this added reactor does somesthing to the already very sweet arc characteristics of these machines? I was just curious and was wondering if some of the techies here or pipleline guys may have done some trials testing for team red on these machines and if they liked them.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Not entirely sure about the differences till Lincoln posts a owners or service manual. The engine and components are the same as the 300D, looks like simply a different front end. I'll post when I compare the two diagrams

Default has continuous coarse current control

Instead of having taps for coarse control and a continuous fine current like the classic 300, it has 2 continuous controls. All of the output specs. seem to be the same. The suggested retail price is about $500 more. Looks like a fine machine, but more than most of us can afford. Retails for over $12,000+tax.

The SAE 300 is just a smaller version of the SAE 400. The left hand knob is set up the same. The 300D is tabbed as stated above, the arc control on 300D's are for adjusting the engine speed (thats a whole nother topic).

I looked up the SAE 300 a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure it only had DC aux power, which in this day in age, pipeline welder or not, I can't see spending 12grand on a machine that only has DC aux power. I just wonder how many of these machines lincoln plans to sell. I see a few folks buying 200D's, but I just don't see there being that big of a market for 2 DC excited/aux power machines, especially with the existing one being named PIPELINER (you'd be surprised at the number of people that will buy something because it says pipeliner on it)

Just my thoughts but, if I had 12k laying around I'd try out one of the new pipe pros. Or buy another AD-Vantage
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Default I read some more in depth on lincolns website

I think this is very interesting. The continuous "Tap" is kinda cool , and as Righand pointed out is much like the SAE 400. I did notice in the fine print that it does actually have ac output of 3000 watts for tools etc just like the classic 300D. I wonder if the single tap range machine is gonna be the way to set and forget. Seems like everybody is kinda heading that direction, With the vantages and the pro300 or pipepro350 and the ecopro400 in the millers. I just wonder if it is possible with the 500 plus amp machines like Bigblue turbo or the airpac? I guess the compact case 500 vantage already has it as well. Seems pretty simple to me.

You nieve guys make me smile. You just dont know what you can do with continous control of voltage and amps with a DC generator.

Default Can you " educate " us ,

I was wondering if you could describe the things we can do with this machine. I am ignorant about many things but i will ask for the benefit of those who may have not wanted to draw attention to themselves. ( I am not trying to come off as a smartazz or snotty)