Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What an uplifting thread! Since my early years of childhood, I've always thought I had no artistic talent at all. I've been a fairly adept DIYer most of my life, but artist? No... until tonight. I went to the shop, and looked at the scrap piled in the corner. Tomorrow, I'll just tack it all together, and call it abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    What an uplifting thread! Since my early years of childhood, I've always thought I had no artistic talent at all. I've been a fairly adept DIYer most of my life, but artist? No... until tonight. I went to the shop, and looked at the scrap piled in the corner. Tomorrow, I'll just tack it all together, and call it abstract.
    Yes that is one plan. Every person born has artistic talent.
    But somewhere along the line you think you are not good at art. OR worse someone who thinks they are an expert says you are no good at art or music or mechanics etc.,.

If a child had been coloring in coloring books only, and one day you give them paper and crayons and say that they can make anything they want and there are no lines to color within, it is a little scary.

The next step is you can have the child take a plain paper and crayons and ask them to look at a tree or house and try to draw what they see.

After they have mastered that then ask them to just draw anything they want. That is very hard to do. The possibilities are infinite. How many houses should they put in one picture?

So by going out to your garage and welding together all of your scraps,
    It is easier because you have set limits. IE, All the scraps. Only the ones you have.

Now one of the responsibilities of the artist is to make sure all of those scraps
    have been de burred and you will need to make some decisions because the artist is responsible for all of the edges and transitions.

For instance will you weld all of the scraps together and then paint it?
    Will you paint it all one color or multiple colors?
    Will you paint it after you weld it together?
    How will you reach some of the parts?
    Will you weld it as you see it sitting there, or form all the scraps into a circle or, a ball or a square or a cube?

See what I mean...its not that easy. Many decisions to make.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-23-2011 at 03:09 PM.

This is a john chamberlain sculpture.

About life size.

Nancy Rubins Airplane parts.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-23-2011 at 03:42 PM.