Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

turbo38t Guest

Default Got my 3035 spoolgunb for sale on Ebay...

I can't believe those things are still that expensive after all these years. I bought mine about 10 years ago for less that $400. Truth be told its probably a $85 tool, it can't cost them that much to make. I saw a post a while back from someone who bought a buch from the chinese company that makes them for about $100. I went to the site, but coudn't figure out how to buy them there, and I don't remember the name now.
    I am glad you got your gun, they are handy to have around. Be sure to use a next size larger tip for aluminum, and have afew tips ready for your first few tries at it, push only for aluminum, argon only too, clean the metal well, and move fast.

Cool

I don't agree on using the next size bigger tip. #1 reason there is no bigger tip for .035 wire and the 3035 gun as a .035 tip is already .045 dia because the standard for mig tips is .010-.014 over what is marked on the tip. The whole problem with the 3035 spoolgun its the tip, its too small to take the heat and thats why the wire sticks. I redid my barrel to take standard .035 mig gun tips and ended all my alum feeding problems...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I think people sticking oversized tips into their guns is one of the most annoying things there is. (Work, we are always working on different welders) I find that whenever I use the same machine I can get the welder to work by properly setting the paremeters and adjusting other little things.

Favourite story, guy couldn't get his welder to "work" for him so he sticks in a 0.068 tip for 0.035 wire. Took a few welds before I figured out why the arc was so soft and the starts were all cold.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

When I got mine I ran wire through it, I don't remeber the exact wire size I ran, and after going through the groved drive wheels it wouldn't fit through the tip. So, .035 wire wouln't fit through and .035 tip. I ran drill bit through new tips and found that the one that fit through an.035 tip was about.038, not that much bigger. I switched to the next size bigger tip and it works great, no more burn back. Perhaps I was using .030 wire with a .035 tips, I'll have to look and see what is in it now. Also, this is for aluminum only, I have never had an issue with steel.
    Shorerider, I find that people who don't really look into and understand what they are doing to be annoying. However, I looked into what I was doing, did some precise measuring (measured the wire as well with a mic) and trial and error to come to a sort of educated conclusion for my machine. I also didn't go willy nilly and put a piece of 1/2" pipe in for a mig tip. Do they even make .068 wire?????

Cool

I did see some Miller spoolgun tips that were marked .035 and they were not. I ended up drilling them to use them.
    I had the same problem, once the wire went thru the spoolgun and got all knurly it would not fit thru the tips.
    But i elimated all my problems by changing my spoolgun over to a standard Miller size mig gun tip.
    I can even run .035 alum thru a .030 tip with zero problems but i changed to Finn tips, they seem to be backbored a little bigger...Bob

I checked my gun out yesterday.The wire is .035, after going through the drive roll it ends up at about .038. The .035 tips from Miller are between .039 and .040. So, there is not much difference in size betwixt the wire and the tip hence going with the next size larger tip. The tip that is in there is an .030 that I drill and is about .043.
    Bob,what did you do to change your gun over to the different tips?

Cool

I took the copper barrel where the tip screws in out of the gun, about a 15 minute job then i chucked it up in the lathe, drilled it 7/32 and ran a 1/4-28 tap in it and she is done. Do it all in the lathe so it is straight. I also took a light cut off the barrel before threading so the tip dosent stick out too far because the mig guns tips are a tad longer. Now the barrel will be thiner where the tip screws in so i use some never seeze on the tip thread because i don't want to tear it up. Mine has been done for 2 years and i haven't had any problems. Just check your overall lengths with the stock tip first to get an idea on what you need. If anyone wants theirs done i will gladly do it if you take the barrel out and send it to me...Bob