Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailblazer 302

Quote Originally Posted by usmcruz View Post
    Ahhh, so the box that miller sells is for ac tig, but if im doing DC tig I wont need anything extra besides the torch, argon hose with ground, and work lead right?. Sorry this is all new to me, and its allot of money going into this so I just want to make sure Im not missing anything.
    Yes sir you are correct, hook your stinger lead to your argon hose, hook your ground clamp to your work set machine to straight polarity=electrode negative hook up your argon and get to work.

Thats the best news Ive heard all day thanks shortarc and BDJ. I was thinking I had to buy $1500 of extras. So if you guys dont mind me asking a rookie question, why would someone want to tig or stick weld with AC. I never get a straight answer from my instructors when i ask this question. They usually respond and say "Depends on whether you like to get electrocuted or not".

Thanks for all the good info on the machines. I've wanted a diesel generator that can weld for a while. Just can't justify the price for the few times I'd need it. Really would prefer diesel to gas, I stock lots of diesel, no gas. Good info on the DC tig, never really thought about how that would be set up.

As for AC tig, its the way to go for alum. Don't know if I'd go to the hastle of AC Tig with an engine machine or just break out my mig and spoolgun for the Alum. Guess its more of a question of what you have vs how often you need to do it.

Any good reasons for diesel over gas for an engine machine? I mean other than a diesel will run forever. All my trucks are diesel and it seemed the way to go since I keep 250+gal on hand for them. Nothing like needing backup power and having no fuel. Been there done that with my small 4500 watt gen set.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcruz View Post
    Thats the best news Ive heard all day thanks shortarc and BDJ. I was thinking I had to buy $1500 of extras. So if you guys dont mind me asking a rookie question, why would someone want to tig or stick weld with AC. I never get a straight answer from my instructors when i ask this question. They usually respond and say "Depends on whether you like to get electrocuted or not".
    Go to this page.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ailblazer_302/

Then go down to where it says "lift arc" click on it. Even has a video to explain it.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Thanks brother will do!!

For the pipeline issue, it has more to do with the actual arc than the machines capability I think. The DC generators, like the lincoln 200D, have an arc that is designed for running cellulose rods vertical down. Pipe welding is a whole different world from what I've seen and heard.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I use my hf box with the trailblazer alot. Although its not a nice as a Dynasty or a Syncrowave, it really does a nice job. I was surprised about how much I get called for portable aluminum.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 12 RC wire feeder
    Miller HF 251D-1
    Miller 175 wire feed

Quote Originally Posted by trevwelder View Post
    I use my hf box with the trailblazer alot. Although its not a nice as a Dynasty or a Syncrowave, it really does a nice job. I was surprised about how much I get called for portable aluminum.

Is it possible to weld alluminum using DC?

Aluminum can be welded with dc elect neg but it's not a common practice. It would have to be extremly clean. You lose the cleaning action of the ac to help remove the surface oxides. I run a Trailblazer 302 gas also. Good machine The only limiting factor I have run into occasionally is the 200 amp AC output in tig mode.

Quote Originally Posted by bvweld View Post
    Aluminum can be welded with dc elect neg but it's not a common practice. It would have to be extremly clean. You lose the cleaning action of the ac to help remove the surface oxides. I run a Trailblazer 302 gas also. Good machine The only limiting factor I have run into occasionally is the 200 amp AC output in tig mode.

Thanks for the info, but what would you need your amp settings above 200 on tig for?. At the welding school we would rarely go over 142 amps and that was running it hot, or are you talking about that welding alluminum would take more amperage using DC?.