Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Home Made Press Brake

I am thinking of making a small press brake for my shop press. Let me start by saying I am a weekend warrior with no real need for one, other than the fun of making it. I don't have a lot of access to scrap material and am trying to avoid buying new material if possible. As I provide specifics, I am looking for feedback on safety, feasibility, etc, and am not worried that the finished product will have limited usefulness. I am simply looking to kill some time in my garage, and not myself in the process. My biggest concern at the moment is whether or not the bottom plate is deep enough to be stable on the press. It fits, but is on the narrow side.

Welder:
    HTP Mig200

Shop Press:
    Harbor Freight 12 Ton (yes I know it's small)

Material I have:
    5x15x1/2 plate
    2x2x.25 angle
    1.5x1.5x.25 angle
    .5x.5 square bar

Overall design thoughts:
    The press will be 12" wide. The base plate will be 15" wide (15x4x.5 plate). In researching my thoughts are to use angle iron as the press and die. I've seen a few of these on the net. I have some 2x2x.25 angle for the bottom and 1.5x1.5x.25 for the top. The thought is to center the base angle on the plate and support it on each side with smaller pieces of angle. On each end I would put a piece of solid bar and a spring to keep the top centered and stable.

For the top I would weld some pipe to the top angle and weld a piece of small square bar inside the angle for the press to push down. I would attach a piece of pipe to the top of the bar to connect it to the press.

Here is some links to something similar to what I am thinking.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5831

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548940

I appreciate all thoughts and feedback. Sorry for no drawings yet.

Here is a press brake that I made for my Harbor Freight 12 ton unit. I did upgrade the ram to a 20 ton air over hydraulic unit though. My brake is 16" wide. Hope this helps.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ts-of-pictures.

Swag off road sells a kit to make one. Look them up on google. I think it's pretty straight forward, but requires some looking into.

Later,
    Kev

BTW not affiliated with SWAG offroad in any way shape or form

Many thanks Jbyrd. I remember reading your post now. Nice work. I think I may be waiting until I can find some larger pieces of plate. What I was planning on using for the bottom might work better on the top. Did you grind you plate to a point?

I ground two 45 degree bevels and left a 1/8 land. It doesn't need to be knife sharp by any means. The scrap I had on hand dictate the design more than anything. The rem deck at your local supplier is your best friend!

Hey Chibrew,
    Here's a simple one I made for my press to do up to 12"W material. Maybe give you some ideas....

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *