Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default New fireplace frame/screen assembly fabbed...

Hey guys,
    I had a customer come over to have a new firescreen frame assembly fabbed for his fireplace as his original finally deteriorated. After looking at the material I have in stock, he chose 1.5" sq tube for the mounting frame & 1.5"W X .75"D rect. tube for the door frames. He had a drawing w/dimensions & to insure his dim. were exact, I gave him (2) pieces of 1.5" sq to take home, set in place, & take an exact measurement of the ID so I could make door frames for a nice snug fit. He came back the next day with a sketch of the dimen. he needed & locations for the hinges & mounting angles-to-wall. He also requested a 5"W hood w/2" frontal bend to use as a "hood". He gave me a deposit for material as required. I have a total of (5) hrs total fab/welding/grinding time in this project.

I cut all the material first, set in place, measured for precise dimen. as required, cut door frame angles, fit/clamped in place, & tacked to insure dimensions. The pics are in fabrication sequence so you can see start to finish. I welded 1.25"sq. X 1.5"L tube to the ends of the hood so they can be inserted into the 1.5"sq mount tube & set for height w/self-tap screws. I used 1/8" fine mesh woven hardware cloth for the screening. He will take the unit to the local powder coater to get a flat-black finish applied.

Here's the pics (10). Gonna need (2)posts to get them all on, so PLEASE give me a couple xtra minutes to get them all on. Don't hesitate to ask any ????. Thanks...

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Here's the 2nd group....

Denny
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Very nice work. I have done a number of these and I can appreciate the work.

looks good! How'd you attach the screen to the door frame? got pic of that?

Hey Rocko,
    I cut the screen 1" wider than the frame so I could "roll" the xtra screen to size for the self-tap sheetmetal screws to have a bit thicker material to bite on. This way makes it much easier to replace if it gets damaged or finally deteriorates. Here's the pic.....

Denny
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

Default Yorkiepap

Hey, yorkiepap - slick trick rolling the screen. I will definitely keep that one in mind.

Cool!! I like it!!

Nice job looks good.

Nice finish work on the joints. You might consider flush mounting the hinges for a cleaner look if jou get the chance to do another one in the future.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Hey nocheep,
    Yeah, I offered to do that & the customer said he wanted to keep costs at a minimum. I just do what they ask for, although do offer suggestions & options.

Denny
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *