Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    FU**k Her ..............Listen ......... 6 of my friends are lawyers.........LOL..........I heard alot...........donno what state your in but ................NOBODY CAN TAKE YOUR TOOLS OF THE TRADE !!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT EVEN THE IRS ........ YA NEED THEM TO WORK WITH ...........LOOK IN THAT DIRECTION AND MENTION IT TO UR LAWYER............IF HE/SHE IS1/2 SMART
    THEY SHOULD KNOW THAT..............FRIGGIN EX'S WANT EVERYTHING WHERE THEY CAN USE IT OR NOT ?.... IT'S NOTHING BUT VINDICTIVE AT IT'S HEIGHT ................ MY EX WANTED MY HARLEY SHE COULDN'T RIDE IT .... NO LESS HAVE A GD MOTORCYCLE LICENSE..........LOL..........
    No need to shout, we can all hear you quite fine, even up hear in Canada.

I got the impression that these were his home tools, not his work tools.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Red face All is not lost!

I didn't read all of the other posts so forgive any repetition. I'm a retired family law attorney. The way this was generally handled in my area (California) was to have the tools appraised. At the very worst, you would only have to pay her one-half of the present value at the time of the trial or settlement conference.

That would only apply to tools that were bought with community income during the time of the marriage. It would not apply to tools that were given as gifts to you or which were bought either before the marriage or after the date of separation. Those would be separate property and would not be part of the community property.

Also, here's a very good hint: In my experience, having had numerous sets of tools appraised, tools that have been marked with the owner's initials are typically worth less than 1/3 of a similar tool in unmarked, pristine conditoin. Hint, hint.

As a general rule, the courts will not force the sale of property if it can be evaluated and the person who wishes to keep it can pay one half to the other party to equalize the community property.

Remember, I said the values are taken at the time of the settlement...that is present value. Your 25 year old Sears compressor is no longer worth the $350 that you paid for it in 1983. It's now worth what? $50....$60? You get the idea.

It is true that community property is not to be sold until the case is settled. There is an injunction against the sale while the property is bieing evaluated. Also, the judge won't force you to sell the tools of your trade but you will still have to evaluate them as community property and either pay half of the value or trade for half of the value, at least in a community property state. Hope this helps. No charge.

P.S. I forgive All-About-Design for calling lawyers bloodsuckers. I feel that way about LWS's. I get screwed every time I go near one. Hahahahahahahaha.

Last edited by Synchroman; 02-08-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Default The truth is paradoxical.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    . she says i work too much...!!!

When they say we work too much,
    the truth is something else.

I gave my wife everything she wanted, she took all the money.

I got it all back, we reunited when I quit trying to BS myself.

Its not about tools, money, trucks or "things".

It had to do with not looking for other people to co-sign my BS.

Its the 'things' that people value so much in life that only seperates them from others, until all they've got left is stuff.
    They got nothing that I would want.

If you can put a pricetag on something, its worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Synchroman View Post
    I'm a retired family law attorney.
    You can appreciate this joke I hope,

why do divorce lawyers cost so much?

Because they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
    You can appreciate this joke I hope,

why do divorce lawyers cost so much?

Because they're worth it.
    Well, I often would fail to get paid, but I do get the joke.

Think how defferent things might have been if people such as Scott Peterson and Darren Mack would have pursued divorce instead of killing their spouses. Whatever you have to pay an attorney is cheaper, better and less expensive than a death sentece or life in prison without possibility of parole. People need to think carefully before making terrible choices with dire consequences.