Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

well, my lawyer told me that it was illegal to "sell my tools" because the assets have been frozen. he also told me that it would look fishy to the judge. my tooling is not the main source of my income but a significant part of it, from that he said that she shouldnt be able to touch them. my flatbed (rig truck help) is owned by welder_one fabrications and it is protected as well as my machines and metal working tools. it is all of my snap-on, mac, matco, and cornwell hand tools and various others and that giant toolbox that it all sits in that has me scared...
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Bump her off.
    10 years with good behavior. Cheaper in the long run.

Just kidding, I will catch **** for saying that, but alot of people have thought the same at one point.

Find a good, no the BEST, CROOKED lawyer you can, she will if you don't.
    Good luck, and keep the faith brother.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default Oh, this sucks!

Sheee-iiiii-it!

There is nothing good about this situation at all! If your wife says you work too much, than it would seem to me that putting a claim in on your tools is punitive? I.E., you say your wife cooks to much so you put a claim in on her favorite cookware. I'm not sure exactly where you are from, but in CA, your at the mercy of courts and judges that highly favor a womans side. If your wife is low enough to go for your tools and you sold them, the judge would ask for a FMV (fair market value) and order you to pay half and even in some cases even more! I am not an attorney, but I would stand fast at the position that your tools are your living, current/future income and sole means of maintaining your living. Again this really sucks the big sloppy one and I hope you fair well in the end, but if your wife has an attorney break out the grease and lube yourself up for a rectal beating of biblical proportions. Last, I don't know if you have children together but I'm sure if you do, they are your number one concern and somewhere someone before me mentioned counseling to perhaps salvage your situation. This is of course the most desirable outcome. But if not, stand fast, keep your spirits up, keep an eye on court and attorney fees and no matter what happens, don't let this effect your health!

Your friend,
    TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Cool

Ever heard the old saying "its cheaper to keep er" I don't get the you work too much thing. I see guys that don't go home for 3 months at a time. I work a sucky hours job too but the moneys good so she puts up with it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default what ever happened to the sanctity of...

Im really Sorry to read of your ill fortune W1.

In a world that seems to be going to h e l l in a hand basket post haste...

what ever happened to:

(Groom's Name), do you take (Bride's Name) to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage. Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health And forsaking all others, be faithful only to her. So long as you both shall live?

(Groom's Name): “I do”

(Bride's Name), do you take (Groom's Name) to be your wedded husband to live together in marriage Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health And forsaking all others, be faithful only to him So long as you both shall live?

(Bride's Name): “ I do”

I'll keep a warm thought for you S.
    Rich
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Arrange a robbery!
    "smokin' joints for 19 yrs."

A.A.S. Weld Tech.

AWS CWI 08011711

WO, my thoughts are with you brother. I know what you are going through and it does play h.... with the nerves and every other internal part of the body. I know its easier said than done but try to remain strong through everything, after it is all over, you'll be a stronger man.

P.S. If you need to talk, drop me a PM and I'll send you my phone number.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    well, my lawyer told me that it was illegal to "sell my tools" because the assets have been frozen. he also told me that it would look fishy to the judge. my tooling is not the main source of my income but a significant part of it, from that he said that she shouldnt be able to touch them. my flatbed (rig truck help) is owned by welder_one fabrications and it is protected as well as my machines and metal working tools. it is all of my snap-on, mac, matco, and cornwell hand tools and various others and that giant toolbox that it all sits in that has me scared...

Are your tools marked with your initials? If they are, their value is approximately 1/3 of unmarked. I wouldn't consider purchasing tools marked with another person's initials in any case.

If they are not initialed, take this only as a hint.

Assuming that they are initialed, get an appraisal from an expert appraiser for tools of that type. You would only be liable to your spouse for the present value at the time of trial, not what you paid for them. The same is true for other items of personal property.

Then you can arange to trade other items that you don't want for your tool ownership value. I doubt, based on professional knowledge, that the court will force you to sell the tools. They are the tools of your trade and you need them to earn a living, something that your spouse apparently cares littles about. You will be permitted to keep them, albeit having to pay some value for them, initialed nicely, of course, heh heh.

If your present mouthpiece even vaguely suggests that you shold sell your tools, then clearly, he needs to be re-trained.

Despite what others may say about being fair and going to counseling, etc, that's all plain bad advice. The cat is out of the bag now. Once the divorce is filed, it's catch as catch can or Marquis of Queensbury rules. It's war.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Synchroman; 01-15-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Default Go for the Good Stuff

Consult your lawyer about if she can get FMV for the tools but Im with the guys saying go for her stuff. Make sure you go after the sentimental grandmothers earrings, china, ashes...... might be sick but thats low trying to take your tools.

alright boys, here is the deal. my lawyer said that he probably couldnt save my tools or my flatbed. he did slow it down and make it so very expensive that she quickly lost interest. it was costing her more in a week than she makes in a month.

i have had to seriously bust my tail on some work, though. it was pretty expensive on my part, too. she filed this time to all she has is hers and all i have is mine...only thing was a car that i have to give her half of fmv on, and that pretty much sums it up...
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com