Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default OT sorry boys, and i think i need a little advice!

i havent been on in a little while, my wife and i are going through a divorce. she says i work too much...anyhow, she is trying to get my tools and my flatbed to be sold because she wants half of the money...any advice, please!!!
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Default Wow. Bummer.

If you use either in your job (or business) they would be exempt from her clutches. If they are not, then START a business to utilize them. For the cost of a few business cards, you could show the court you need them in your fledgling company. IMNSHO.

Best of luck to you. I have been there.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
    If you use either in your job (or business) they would be exempt from her clutches. If they are not, then START a business to utilize them. For the cost of a few business cards, you could show the court you need them in your fledgling company. IMNSHO.

Best of luck to you. I have been there.
    That didn't work for me 24 years ago, but things may have changed...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Sell it to a freind for a $100.00 make sure you have a bill of sell......
    I sold two ropen horses for a buck each, there wasn't a da;; thing she could do about it. hope you have a good lawer :-)

Fab Tech

Default Too much work and enough playing with the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    i havent been on in a little while, my wife and i are going through a divorce. she says i work too much...anyhow, she is trying to get my tools and my flatbed to be sold because she wants half of the money...any advice, please!!!
    Best advice I could give you is, if you truely love your wife, and especially if there are children involved, try to work out your differences. Going to counseling may open both of your eyes to things that you really don't see. But if things have crossed over that line and divorce is certain to happen, then have anything that she has aquired since being married appraised and taken into consideration for a trade off. Jewerly, cameras, birthday and Christmas presents, and anything that means something to her that was purchased during the marriage is joint marital assets. Been there, Done that. They will fight dirty especially if there are lawyers and family members now involved. Don't listen to whatever she says will happen or what her lawyers says will happen. The final decision will either be between you and her or the judge. Good luck

I sold two ropen horses for a buck each, there wasn't a da;; thing she could do about it. hope you have a good lawer :-)

Fab Tech

Let’s clarify this a bit. You could sell it to a good friend that will help you out. And later you can get it back after she’s gone (A GOOD FRIEND)...

Quote Originally Posted by FabTech View Post

Fab Tech

Let’s clarify this a bit. You could sell it to a good friend that will help you out. And later you can get it back after she’s gone (A GOOD FRIEND)...

What he said.......unless the laws in your state allow her to get half of market value....if so then good luck......best bet is talk to all the best lawyers in town....that way they can't represent her....conflict of interest....doesn't work every were,but may in your state...
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Do what fabtech said. I did it with a gun collection several years ago. Worked like a charm.
    "smokin' joints for 19 yrs."

A.A.S. Weld Tech.

AWS CWI 08011711

Default sell it too a friend...

Unfortunately, the way most states view this now is that once she has stated her desire for the divorce assets are essentually frozen. You could sell them to a friend for 10 cents on the dollar...heck even a nickel but if market value is 40 cents on the dollar you will be held liable for half of the market value if you are in a joint property state. and most are...

Using the start a business approach would most likely not work since that would be seen as sheilding assets. Your best hope is that you need them for work and can justify them that way.

Or as was said...make a list of everything that is of value to her and start the bartering..

It was also said to get the best lawyer in town...AMEN to that and do it quick. If she has already lawyered up you do not wnat those bloodsucking..@@#&&!!!&&!!'s to have the opportunity to start pounding on you. You need that buffer zone to protect your interest ond not let them bully you.

That all said..good luck man...been through it all....that ard part is to not let yourself get screwed yet maintain some civility for the kids and such.

Just my two pennies and hope it helps.
    ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!

Welder One, I know what your going through. Like Fab said, sell it to a good friend and get something signed saying he sells it back to you at same price, give that paper to a better friend for safe keeping.

If there is a house involved, (I did this) contact an appraiser, tell him the story, point out any little fault or repair that needs done, get him to work in your favor, it will pay off. I was able to p o her lawyer by doing this, loved every minute of it.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC