Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I,ll also add the same as mark stated, being a welder 22yrs now i also have a pretty good idea of what i can get away with also.But a beam splice in building or a barn is something i would not take lightly to just wing it.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by Markswelding View Post
    Sundowner; I tried to send a message, your box is full empty it?

MX842, yes as in what others have said, I as well said, but maybe not clearly enough. (and as well the bottom flange should be plated).
    You probably should have some "professional type" help for your job.
    I myself know what I can get away with but then I've been a welder for 30 yrs, fit & fixed lots of stuff, so I have a pretty fairly good idea of what I can get away with.
    If you do this you can't just shmuck it together, for those of us that weld a lot it would be easy, but your questions do leave me with worry.
    What size are the flanges?
    Good luck but don't hold me to any responsibility get qualified help.

Mark
    No, Mark, I read what you posted, you told mx exactly what he wanted to hear. you are as much of an idiot as MX is, don't weasel out of it.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Default I don't weasel out of **** no need to

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    No, Mark, I read what you posted, you told mx exactly what he wanted to hear. you are as much of an idiot as MX is, don't weasel out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Yeh your right I told him what he wanted to hear none of you people on here told him how it should be done. So answer me **** brain just how should it be done, how many X-ray bend tests you get thru?
    Hey you said it best aw
    Your just a hack artist and we shouldn't listen to you.
    Moron unless you know who I am and my work capabilities you should stuff an octagon bar in your a$$ so you smile more.
    People like you suck and drag down the rest of decent people trying to learn something or get a project done.
    Keep your crap to yourself make me waist my time arguing or trying to communicate with a fart.
    **** I should of never got involved you Internet people suck the wazzoooo
    At least I find it better to offer someone some advice or help compared to your ridicule jerk off.
    S. B. For president

Oh after checking the pf, you spend the majority of your time here looking for people to degrade don't you. Better then 2 posts per day.
    Get a job get a life. And you wanna make comments about Internet welders WTF

Yeh your right I told him what he wanted to hear none of you people on here told him how it should be done. So answer me **** brain just how should it be done, how many X-ray bend tests you get thru?
    Hey you said it best aw
    Your just a hack artist and we shouldn't listen to you.
    Moron unless you know who I am and my work capabilities you should stuff an octagon bar in your a$$ so you smile more.
    People like you suck and drag down the rest of decent people trying to learn something or get a project done.
    Keep your crap to yourself make me waist my time arguing or trying to communicate with a fart.
    **** I should of never got involved you Internet people suck the wazzoooo
    At least I find it better to offer someone some advice or help compared to your ridicule jerk off.
    S. B. For president

Oh after checking the pf, you spend the majority of your time here looking for people to degrade don't you. Better then 2 posts per day.
    Get a job get a life. And you wanna make comments about Internet welders WTF
    Ok...calm down now, it isn't worth the heightened blood pressure trying to inject reason into a college boy. Where I never would belittle anyone for taking the time to go to school and getting all the education they can there are some things you will never learn in a school building. Obviously, from some of the post in this thread it is easier to poke fun at someone's ideas or plans than it is to actually offer up a solution to the problem. I don't even mind them wanting to get paid for their advice.Although, If I was this highly educated and my time was that valuable I don't think I would be spending my time on some welding forum trying to drum up business.

Sundowner; I tried to send a message, your box is full empty it?

MX842, yes as in what others have said, I as well said, but maybe not clearly enough. (and as well the bottom flange should be plated).
    You probably should have some "professional type" help for your job.
    I myself know what I can get away with but then I've been a welder for 30 yrs, fit & fixed lots of stuff, so I have a pretty fairly good idea of what I can get away with.
    If you do this you can't just shmuck it together, for those of us that weld a lot it would be easy, but your questions do leave me with worry.
    What size are the flanges?
    Good luck but don't hold me to any responsibility get qualified help.

Mark
    Don't worry Mark I'm not looking to sue anyone. I'm just a poor country boy looking for help in all the wrong places it seems. I have no doubt that I can make this beam work if I go about it the right way. It is purely a matter a matter of economics for me. I have 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of steel the Good Lord blessed me with and I can't see throwing it all away and buying more just to satisfy some internet engineer cowboy's lust for attention and notification of their self worth.

I'm sorry you got involved with this in this way where your knowledge and experience have been called into question. It is from people such as yourself that I was looking for answers. People that have actually been out in the field and fixed stuff and made stuff work. People that have actually put beams together and figured out how or seen it done before. Sure I have ideas about how this should be done and would have already done it if I had not gotten caught up with all the nit picking and pettiness from post in this thread.

Right now I am hung up on fish plate shape and bolt pattern and how they relate to load. As I said I have already welded the beams together in two places and won't worry a bit about my ability to make these welds. That part is done and it is all on me but the next part is plating the splices and if anyone has any thoughts on this I would be glad to listen to what you have to say about how this is done properly.

Thanks, and as I said I'm sorry you have had to bear some of the pettiness of some of the posters that have tried to lay claim to my thread. If you choose not to post anymore I will certainly understand and thanks for your help.

MX,

You've got to be either the dumbest or most hard headed poster on this board in some time.

No one called you out or called you stupid until you proved, beyond a doubt, that that was the case. What other posters tried to do was steer you in the right direction so that you didn't hurt yourself or others around you.

I don't know what it's going to take to get thru to you that we're not talking about a "yard ornament" you're talking about hanging. We're talking about a heavy steel beam that could hurt/kill people if it fails.

No one, I don't care what their training or experience is, can design a beam/splice for you given the information you provided. He11, you don't even know what beam you're dealing with. Furthermore, no one knows the condition of the beam in question. For all anyone knows, it could be an old rusty beam that's been laying out in the back 40 for years, rusting away.

Furthermore, you've already demonstrated your willingness to grab "bad advice" and run with it. Don't expect anyone who knows what they're doing to be a coconspirator in your idiocy (something notably stupid or foolish).

And yes, I do have a background in structural steel. I had hung thousands of tons (bridge building as a Company Commander in an engineer construction company) of steel before I was 25yrs old. One project alone (TRANSPO 72 at Dulles Airport) required 278 tractor trailer loads of steel members.

Bottom Line:

Can the beam be installed and used? Probably, but will require designing the structure to support it. Most likely, will require the design of intermediate trusses to support the vertical loading of the beam.

Splices need to be "designed" for the particular beam in question. In order to do that, the exact beam in question needs to be determined.

To proceed without "professional assistance" is reckless and dumb.
    To act on "advice" given by posters who know less than you do is flat out stupid.

If unable to afford or unwilling to seek professional help, I'd recommend you use the beam you have and build a rolling gantry to meet your needs. Heck you can buy one from Harbor Freight that will carry a 1 Ton load for <$700.

The problem you have is the 40' "clear span" that you keep insisting on.

If you (and your equally uninformed buddy's) persist in "casting stones" at knowledgeable posters who've tried to steer you in the right direction, then I'll make you look even more stupid than you've demonstrated to this point.

Have a great day. Guess there's a reason they say, "Ignorance is Bliss".
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    MX,

You've got to be either the dumbest or most hard headed poster on this board in some time.

No one called you out or called you stupid until you proved, beyond a doubt, that that was the case. What other posters tried to do was steer you in the right direction so that you didn't hurt yourself or others around you.

I don't know what it's going to take to get thru to you that we're not talking about a "yard ornament" you're talking about hanging. We're talking about a heavy steel beam that could hurt/kill people if it fails.

No one, I don't care what their training or experience is, can design a beam/splice for you given the information you provided. He11, you don't even know what beam you're dealing with. Furthermore, no one knows the condition of the beam in question. For all anyone knows, it could be an old rusty beam that's been laying out in the back 40 for years, rusting away.

Furthermore, you've already demonstrated your willingness to grab "bad advice" and run with it. Don't expect anyone who knows what they're doing to be a coconspirator in your idiocy (something notably stupid or foolish).

And yes, I do have a background in structural steel. I had hung thousands of tons (bridge building as a Company Commander in an engineer construction company) of steel before I was 25yrs old. One project alone (TRANSPO 72 at Dulles Airport) required 278 tractor trailer loads of steel members.

Bottom Line:

Can the beam be installed and used? Probably, but will require designing the structure to support it. Most likely, will require the design of intermediate trusses to support the vertical loading of the beam.

Splices need to be "designed" for the particular beam in question. In order to do that, the exact beam in question needs to be determined.

To proceed without "professional assistance" is reckless and dumb.
    To act on "advice" given by posters who know less than you do is flat out stupid.

If unable to afford or unwilling to seek professional help, I'd recommend you use the beam you have and build a rolling gantry to meet your needs. Heck you can buy one from Harbor Freight that will carry a 1 Ton load for <$700.

The problem you have is the 40' "clear span" that you keep insisting on.

If you (and your equally uninformed buddy's) persist in "casting stones" at knowledgeable posters who've tried to steer you in the right direction, then I'll make you look even more stupid than you've demonstrated to this point.

Have a great day. Guess there's a reason they say, "Ignorance is Bliss".
    So you have taken it upon yourself to become my personal keeper and follow me all around the internet and harass me on other forums too. I didn't ask you anything, I didn't ask you for your help, I did ask the board one simple question at the start of all this and you have blown it all out of proportion. You might be the smartest person on the whole planet for all I know and if you are that's wonderful but I wish you would keep your smart azz remarks over in deltaville I don't need your help here in richmond so please butt out. If you persist in stalking me on other forums and continue to harass me here I will seek other means of remedy, two can play your silly game I just wish I had the time to play your childish games.