Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Meyers Snow Plow Repair

Attached are some pictures of my latest project to repair a Meyers snow plow. As you can see in the two “before” pictures the left hand bracket broke off due to corrosion and got lost somewhere in a snow pile. The right side wasn't much better. First I cut off the corroded channel that attached to the blade of the plow. Then I skip welded 1/16” plate to the back of the blade. This section was more corroded than the rest of the blade and consequently thinner due to the higher stress from the attachment point. I replaced the corroded channel with a fabricated channel made from a piece of 1/8” x 2” flat stock and a 1/8” x 2” angle welded together. I continuously welded the fabricated channel to the new 1/16" back up plate. I fabricated a new bracket for the left side by cutting the flat section off a piece of 3/16” x 4” x 4” square tubing and then welding the two pieces together. I used a Ύ” end mill and ball nosed end mill to mill the slot in the new bracket. I got it done after my friend Guy was done with one snow storm and before the next one. It was snowing as we installed it back on his truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don52; 03-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Some more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don52; 03-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

A friend of mine broke his the same way. The small western blades just arent as good as the bigger ones.

I agree that blades for this market tend to be light weight and relatively inexpensive. The curved piece of the blade is only 1/16” thick and the channel is about .090” thick. Here in Michigan we use a lot of salt on the roads in winter. This gets into the inside of the channel and forms a poultice with road dirt, which holds moisture and accelerates rusting. When I cut off the channel on the right side it was full of this rusty poultice.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport