Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default New fireplace frame/screen assembly fabbed...

Hey guys,
    I had a customer come over to have a new firescreen frame assembly fabbed for his fireplace as his original finally deteriorated. After looking at the material I have in stock, he chose 1.5" sq tube for the mounting frame & 1.5"W X .75"D rect. tube for the door frames. He had a drawing w/dimensions & to insure his dim. were exact, I gave him (2) pieces of 1.5" sq to take home, set in place, & take an exact measurement of the ID so I could make door frames for a nice snug fit. He came back the next day with a sketch of the dimen. he needed & locations for the hinges & mounting angles-to-wall. He also requested a 5"W hood w/2" frontal bend to use as a "hood". He gave me a deposit for material as required. I have a total of (5) hrs total fab/welding/grinding time in this project.

I cut all the material first, set in place, measured for precise dimen. as required, cut door frame angles, fit/clamped in place, & tacked to insure dimensions. The pics are in fabrication sequence so you can see start to finish. I welded 1.25"sq. X 1.5"L tube to the ends of the hood so they can be inserted into the 1.5"sq mount tube & set for height w/self-tap screws. I used 1/8" fine mesh woven hardware cloth for the screening. He will take the unit to the local powder coater to get a flat-black finish applied.

Here's the pics (10). Gonna need (2)posts to get them all on, so PLEASE give me a couple xtra minutes to get them all on. Don't hesitate to ask any ????. Thanks...

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Here's the 2nd group....

Denny
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Very nice work. I have done a number of these and I can appreciate the work.

looks good! How'd you attach the screen to the door frame? got pic of that?

Hey Rocko,
    I cut the screen 1" wider than the frame so I could "roll" the xtra screen to size for the self-tap sheetmetal screws to have a bit thicker material to bite on. This way makes it much easier to replace if it gets damaged or finally deteriorates. Here's the pic.....

Denny
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

Default Yorkiepap

Hey, yorkiepap - slick trick rolling the screen. I will definitely keep that one in mind.