Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default fireplace screen question

I need to build a couple of fireplace screens. Need a recommendation for woven wire screen material. Wire dia? square opening? woven vs weld wire? Hard to tell from Mcnichols webpage exactly how big the openings and wire is.

Thanks,
    Rocko

Cool

I wouldn't go any bigger than 1/4" sq. I made them for 10 years in my dads woodburner factory. I remember ours being about 3/16" sq. Heres a tip to attach the screen to a frame if you use it. Take a small washer and plug weld the washer thru the screen welding it to the frame. It will take more abuse and not pop off as easy as just tacking the screen...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Firescreen

Expanded mesh works well for firescreens, looks even better if its rolled as well.
    Welding is so much more than a hobby. It is a fun way to earn a living working from home.
    http://www.weldathome.co.za

Thanks for tip! Gonna try it!

Be careful about code compliance. Call McNichols direct, tell them the application, and they will recommend the proper material.