Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default XMT 350 CV/CC TIG hookup

I bought a used XMT 350 CC/CV ON EBay it came with a Q300 mig gun S64 feeder and a Weldcraft 17 series valved TIG torch. The power supply doesn't have the optional gas valve. But it came with a brass gas / power block.

For TIG I believe I understand that I can clamp a lead from the - terminal to the block and ground the work with the + terminal then use the torch valve and add a 14 pin control with either a foot or torch handle control if I wish to adjust the torch while welding.

1. Can I also bolt the power block to the same pole on my s-64 as the power lead from my power unit then plug the power plug to the - output and the ground plug to the + for TIG apps and reverse the plugs for MIG applications? Or does this potentially risk damaging something in the feeder unit?

2. How much money does it cost to convert the unit to one with the optional gas valve.

3. I also have a switch position for pulsed MIG but the inside cover indicates this is optional. how would I know if the unit has the pulsing option installed? If it is not, how much would this upgrade cost me? I have a long way to go to be able to use this equipment's capabilities but I want to start exploring.

I don't have a problem taking of the cover and installing options, I think I could leave the machine unplugged for 24 hrs to let any capacitors to bleed down then do the job. Is this thinking reasonable or crazy?
    Thank you in advance

Have you read the Owner's Manual. If one did not come with the unit, you can go to the top of the page and click on the RESOURCES tab. There you can click on Owner's Manuals. Select your model and enter your serial number and you'll get the manual for your machine.

Your wirefeeder should have the gas solonoid for mig welding built in.

The XMT350 CV/CC does have an option for a build in gas solonoid for tig welding. Not sure how much we're talking about price wise.

Pulsed mig welding is only available with that machine by using the Optima Pulser. Miller shows it as an option in their catalog.

Setup of the connections for tig and mig are covered in detail in the owners manual. You'll be well served to read it.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

1. Not sure I understand your question about the "power block" as I haven't seen one. I have a Miller mig wirefeeder for connection to my XMT 350 CC/CV as well as tig torches and stick stinger, etc.. Each has its own connector and I connect/disconnect/change polarity on the XMT using them as needed. It just takes a few seconds to change over from one to the other.

2. You can order the internal solenoid/gas valve for under $100 and install it yourself with the enclosed instructions (at least that's what I did). I ordered mine from a LWS, but I've seen them on E-Bay. It makes tig soooo much easier.

3. The pulsed mig setting allows you to use the optional Miller Optima pulser pendant that connects in series between your wirefeeder and the XMT. There is no internal pulsing capability on your welder.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.