Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Cant seen to make a puddle on al.

I am new to tig welding,but I,no matter what i've tried,cannot get any type of aluminum to puddle. I have a Dyn.200dx and all I get is small black pits and a lot of black smoke type marks on my al. I have tried different settings and pressures and I either get the black or the al. melts.Please Help!

You might try turning on your covering gas. Set at 15-18 CFH.

You need to provide a lot more information regarding your settings.

Many of the members are very knowledgeable welders, but none are mindreaders.

First off, I'd suggest you go to the top of the page and click on the RESOURCES tab. Then look down for Miller's Student Pack. It's $25 including shipping. Best money you'll ever spend on welding. Includes an excellent Tig Handbook, a GMAW Handbook, a GMAW-P Handbook, and a lot of other useful stuff.

I will also add, that aluminum is NOT the metal you want to learn to tig on. You go to aluminum AFTER you've become somewhat proficient on mild steel.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Thanks! I will order that tonight! I'm have the gas on at 20CFH,Straight argon and set the welder to the settings in the manual.I know I have a lot to learn and thanks for the info!

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks for the info on the bad gas! I was wondering if that was a possibility,I'm going to trade tanks in the morning to see if that helps!

I had bad gas once, but I took some Mylanta and it went away!

Man, I just COULDN'T resist that!!!! Sorry!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Has anybody wondered if you are welding using AC? Check your balance. Dynastys are not known for turning bad work. You could have a tech problem or operater problem.

Don't sweat it man. You have been given some good advice on where to find the answers. However, are you using AC and what is your balance setting? Can you feel and hear the gas flowing at the torch? Wondering if you have a loose connection or a leaking line someshere.

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Has anybody wondered if you are welding using AC? Check your balance. Dynastys are not known for turning bad work. You could have a tech problem or operater problem.

Don't sweat it man. You have been given some good advice on where to find the answers. However, are you using AC and what is your balance setting? Can you feel and hear the gas flowing at the torch? Wondering if you have a loose connection or a leaking line someshere.
    Ditto,check your post gas flow too

Duh,

Why would he be worried about post flow, if he can't get a puddle to form?

I really don't think that's his problem.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Thumbs up

I'm 100% agree with Sundownlll