Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Inverter impressions (XM304)

Back in Nov I purchased a Red-D-Arc EX300 Inverter (that's an XM304 to ya'll). I cannot express how impressed I am with this machine. I am no fan of single process machines to begin with. That just means you need more of them. I had never had the opportunity to use a machine with arc force control before and boy do I wish I had. I use it primarily as a power source for a suitcase wire feeder with fluxcore, but have done some stick work with it. It weighs about 75 pounds and can crank out 160 amps all day long without a break on single phase 220. I think it is 250 amps at 100% duty cycle on three phase power. That is the only drawback I can see so far and I would really like to see Miller do something about it as it looks like the next one will be a Lincoln for that very reason. I need the extra power. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner or hobby welder, unless you really want to spend a boatload of money, but if you are a pro it's well worth looking into. The only thing this thing can't do with the proper accessories is AC.

I also picked up a Lincoln AC-225 (I think it says Lincwelder on the label). This thing is so old the paint has turned dreamsicle orange. It actually belonged to a friend of my fathers (they grew up together, got married in a double ceremony - I guess you could call it lifelong friendship) who passed away from cancer a while back. His wife told my dad to take it to me as she had no use for it and didn't know if it even worked. Well it works and welds better than the new one I bought last year for skinning trailers. It weighs about twice as much too. Sometimes old isn't a bad thing.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Cool

Where i used to work they gave me a blank check and said go buy whatever you want. So i bought an XMT304 ,S22 wire feeder and a bunch of cable. Great machine in mig mode or stick. Wish i had one, but its on my list...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Talking

I've run quite a few XMT inverters in the past and I'd have to say that next to the Dynasty line up that it's the smoothest inverter I've ever run and also one of the most reliable inverter power sources.