Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Lazy J welding pattern?

I recently retired, and finally have time to get to some projects that I've wanted to start for years. I am taking a beginning welding course at the local community college. Last week I bought a Hobart Handler 210 welder.

An old Navy vet friend of mine used to talk about the "Lazy J" pattern that he learned in the Navy. I have done a little searching on various welding sites and I haven't found any illustrations of the Lazy J pattern.

Can someone post illustrations of the technique? What benefits does it have over other patterns, and does it work best when pulling or pushing a MIG gun?

Thanks much!

The only thing I can say about any type of torch manipulation while MIG welding is:

LESS WEAVING, MORE WELDING!!!

The guy that I apprenticed under back in the day would shout that at the back of my head whenever he caught me "herring boning, lasy J-ing, circling or figure 8-ing". Having said that, sometimes a little
    wiggling or pushing is required when welding awkward positions. For a horizontal weld I will loop up to the top side of the weld a little to make it stick.
    Last edited by wronghand; 02-24-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Between odd positions, fit up differences, arc blow and who knows what other variables get thrown at you I've found that there is no one magic pattern or weave that makes a perfect weld everytime. Watch the the puddle, and to some extent the arc, and do whatever it takes to get the results you desire.

My .02 $'s
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I use it at times if im welding painted materials. (At times its not always possible to clean off paint). I watch the puddle and normally go side to side for galvanized or paint. When im welding thick to thin out of position such as chinese vertical, such as diagonal bracing i will use a "j" pattern. Everyone welds different and no one application is necessarily better than the other.

This is my first post on this forum but I have been mig welding for 10 yrs. so I figured I would try to help if I can so here goes. Any weaving in mig welding is only really needed if short arc welding, the j pattern can be used for this although I personally do not use it I was showed how to at one time and found it too tedious. It basically works like this. start at the root then move to The point on the top shaft of the j and stall slightly (this is your upper point on a fillet weld) you then weave straight down and loop up and the second short stall point will be at the end point of the loop which should also be the root of the weld then a slight angle backup to next point of shaft and so on separating the patterns by the bead stack intended. the point I got from my instruction of this technique (from an old timer) is that the top stall gets the puddle moving and ties in the toe then the more rapid movement of the shaft and loop make the puddle form a bead and it wont build up too much. the bottom toe is formed by the puddle and is tied in because of the heat of the puddle you have formed. then the second stall is for penetrating the root. It does make for better tie in and penetration on anything thicker than 1/4". If you want to short arc anything under 1/4" I would suggest a simpler half moon shape pattern instead or even a circular one. either way you feel comfortable and get the best results is fine. If you turn up the settings it is much easier to learn spray welding on flat joints IMO as there is really no need to weave most of the time.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by crawler30; 03-02-2011 at 08:20 PM.