Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pipe stands

Default pipe stands

i am looking to buy some new pipestands. i was looking at the GRB brand, but i got a real good quote on one made by javelin industrial. i have looked at them, and they are quite a bit heavier than the blue ones, are they built better? has anybody used either or both brands?likes or dislikes?
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

I have bought 12 of these in the last 3 months.

http://www.industrialladder.com/sear...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

They work real nice and have a big "fat" base so they don't fall over. I highly recommend. Just now when I got the link for you, I see they went up considerably in price. In January I paid $105 for the vee head and $116 for the roller. Maybe they will still honor that price if you ask nice. I am in Manitoba so I got them shipped to a depot in North Dakota and brought them across myself. Welder's Supplies quoted me $355 for these Sumner's!

Not as heavy as the Javelin model, but the price it right.
    http://www.realcheaptools.com/page/page/788487.htm
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

i have sumners now, the bases are not real wide,and the rollers heads are not very good. pipe is constantly trying to walk off the stands and fall on you. looking for a better all around stand
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

Default I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
    i have sumners now, the bases are not real wide,and the rollers heads are not very good. pipe is constantly trying to walk off the stands and fall on you. looking for a better all around stand
    I have the Sumner pipe stands, and had 20' joint of 16" sch 80 walk off the stands and hit the ground, crushed one leg of the stand and the ground clamp for the plasma.
    That's when I realized the roller heads had to be parallel to each other and square to the pipe.
    So now I have a 2 and half legged Sumner light stand.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    Comming soon '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Do yourself a favorite! Toss those summners out of your truck at 140! They should be banned for all work sites!! I have 4as well, I use them for hanging things off them for when I want to paint stuff!

I have the blue ones, both the big ones and the little tiny ones! They work great! I haven't used the red ones so not sure what they are like, my blue ones have a pinky finger stamp for weight and have been asked for the stamp number when fab pipe! Not saying you will be asked but it might be something to look at.

it's so flat in sask I didn't think you boys had problems with pipe walking off your stands....lol

Are yours Fat Jacks, or the standard base Sumner's?

Smile

i have the standard sumners. and yes it is flat in sask(i am 8 miles from alberta border, and it is not too flat here).mind you alberta has places just as flat.lol.
    the blue or red ones would be better than i have now.on an exact comparison between the two there is 250 bones difference for 4. not sure how warranty or service differs between them though.
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

i have the standard sumners. and yes it is flat in sask(i am 8 miles from alberta border, and it is not too flat here).mind you alberta has places just as flat.lol.
    the blue or red ones would be better than i have now.on an exact comparison between the two there is 250 bones difference for 4. not sure how warranty or service differs between them though.
    I think both stands are made in Edmonton. As far as if one is stronger then the other I am not sure, the blue ones have always stood up for the jobs I have done! So maybe it boils down to what you want to spend and then color! Really and truely if you look at the stand it looks pretty easy yo build BUT it it seems like alot of pi$$n around with little pices! I did see the red ones have one stand that holds a chuck all the heads and the wheel for fabn pipe! Looks slick but it looked kind of unsteady, but I didn't weld with, just looked at it in the liquid air place in Calgary.

What you should do is buy 6 of each and then tell us what works the best for when we have to buy some!

if you loan me 6 grand i will buy six of each and try them out. LOL.
    that was something else that caught my attention, was the different attachments the red ones offer
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools