Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've ran a hot mig wire right through a leather work glove into my finger. Ouch!

Default ooch!

Back in 1971 or '72 I was welding structural steel about 50 feet above the ground. The only fall protection we had then was detemined by how tight our leg (and sometimes sphincter) muscles could attach us to the wideflange.

I felt what seemed to be an unusually large piece of splatter go down my glove and back of my hand. Happens all the time, good bead going, ignore it. The backs of my hands looked like I had chicken pox anyway.

Then it worked its way down to my index finger and proceded to burn through the nail and into the quick. My hood went one way, my stinger went the other way, and then I remembered where I was. That's when my sphincter took over and kept me attached to the wideflange.

Had to replace the lens, obviously, but I still have the hood. Nowadays, at my age, 5 feet off the ground is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswelding View Post
    Back in 1971 or '72 I was welding structural steel about 50 feet above the ground. The only fall protection we had then was detemined by how tight our leg (and sometimes sphincter) muscles could attach us to the wideflange.

I felt what seemed to be an unusually large piece of splatter go down my glove and back of my hand. Happens all the time, good bead going, ignore it. The backs of my hands looked like I had chicken pox anyway.

Then it worked its way down to my index finger and proceded to burn through the nail and into the quick. My hood went one way, my stinger went the other way, and then I remembered where I was. That's when my sphincter took over and kept me attached to the wideflange.

i feel your pain. i was hanging upside down from a rope, threes stories up welding channel to a chunk of i beam ,for a oversized neon sign.
    the hot stuff went under my hood and landed on my chin .i almost dropped the three foot piece of channel .it looked like a cigarette was held on my chin
    i couldnt weld it from the top because of the wall stubbed out a little

...when i was putting up steel buildings i used to use tension cables as ziplines...
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Default well this happend to my friend

she was tiging something and laid the hot stinger right on her you know what in her lap and noticed it when her pants were smoking and she was burnt bad

I haven't had nor do I wish to have the hot slag in the eye treatment, but I have done all the others. I will never forget back in '72 when I was 12 I flipped the red hot tip of an o/a rod I was welding with down and it went right through my shirt and into my belly. Mom was nearby and heard my exclamation of sh@t, no not shoot, all she did was laugh and say your dad must have taught you that.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Mom was nearby and heard my exclamation of sh@t, no not shoot, all she did was laugh and say your dad must have taught you that.

LOL
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I learned one day while tigging that if a hot filler rod slips outta your hands... don't try to catch it. I caught it just fine, however, the hot end burned into my neck about a 1/4" inch... felt deeper than that!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Quote Originally Posted by c wagner View Post
    I learned one day while tigging that if a hot filler rod slips outta your hands... don't try to catch it. I caught it just fine, however, the hot end burned into my neck about a 1/4" inch... felt deeper than that!
    ouch i bet that felt good.

Burns come and go, I was welding outside in 20 below and had my carhart jacket on over bibs and all. I caught my arm on fire and wasn't even aware of it until my buddy slaps my head.

Worked with another guy, great welder. He lost his left arm as a kid on the farm and had a operational hook that he strapped around his shoulders to work. Had to grind him off the table once, he was tig welding and feeding with the hook when he touched the filler to the electrode and went to ground.

oops thats a ddozie, well today first day of class i grabbed a piece of hot plat andburnt the **** outta my finger whoops im a dummy.