Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pontoon Again

Fusion , come to think of it I've never tested a pontoon that didn't have more leaks than whatever I was fixing. All the ones I've worked on leaked where the angles are welded to the top of the logs. I figure the factory's that build the logs probably make a log then pressure check it then add on the angles , etc..
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    Fusion , come to think of it I've never tested a pontoon that didn't have more leaks than whatever I was fixing. All the ones I've worked on leaked where the angles are welded to the top of the logs. I figure the factory's that build the logs probably make a log then pressure check it then add on the angles , etc..
    If they have been running that puppy hard enuff to flap the fins and tear'em off, then there is a good chance it has also been diagonally twisting the entire boat.....which on a pontoon boat, is THE KISS OF DEATH
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Good grief,
    Guess I'll start today building a pressure tester I have in mind. Just a way to add the air with a gage and use soapy water. Looks the the very first thing to do is check everything.

Yesterday, I welded a sample guard and didn't like the results. Instead of adding angle I'll be breaking the guard at the toon edge at a 90.

Learning allot right here. Thanks for the great advise, I'll keep reading.

You really don't need to put much pressure into these things. I have used a air pump for filling inflatable toys and you would be surprized how much force that puts on the pontoon. With only that little bit of pressure the pontoon moved and produced plenty of bubbles from the leaks. When I do them at my shop I just jam a air want in the hole and pack a rag around it.

I do not remember what fusion said but I don't think you would need any more then 1 psi.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Hardrock,

Not trying to give you a hard time or rain on the parade, but I have some real concerns.

Went back and read a few of your posts from awhile back. Seems you're just getting the hang of this "tig welding".

The comment about buying aluminum at the box stores raised further questions. Frankly, I don't know anyone serious about welding aluminum that uses that stuff for anything "serious".

The comment about "getting some 5356" also raised eyebrows.

I know everyone wants to be able to "do their own stuff", but being a good tig welder also involves knowing when a project may exceed one's experience level. While an experienced tig welder such as FK or Showdog may make this type repair look easy, and they can describe the process they use, it's not an "easy fix" and can go bad in a NY minute.

I can tell you from personal experience, and I'm sure FK and Showdog will confirm it , that there's nothing worse than having to go in and try to do a quality repair after an inexperienced guy has made things worse. I get it all the time. The owner who loaded a spool of aluminum in his little mig and went to town, the owner who's buddy "knows how to tig weld", and blew holes in the thin material, and God forbid, the guy who took the aluma-weld solder to the damaged area.

I'm not saying you can't do this repair, but I would highly recommend you do a lot of practice on similar gauge material (scrap) before you even think about putting a torch to the boat itself. A little too much heat here or there and you create a bigger problem than you have now. Sounds like you've got a nice rig there. Would hate to see you create a bigger problem for yourself.

One thing that FK and Showdog have not brought up is the fact that the tube has already been welded once in the same area (when original splash rail was installed). This created it's own HAZ and somewhat weakened the aluminum in that area. Double pass welds (going back over a previous weld) are something we have to be extremely careful about. Here, you don't have much choice, but it's another factor that enters into the equation.

Bottom line.

What seems to be a somewhat straightforward repair may in fact require the services of a very experienced tigger.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands