Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon Again

Default Pontoon Again

I asked a question about pontoon splash guards a few weeks back with no replies. Oh well, guess the thickness of them doesn't need to be any thicker than the pontoon itself.

I've never tig welded on pontoons (thats under a pontoon boat) Just how thick are they usually? Would they go an 8th? Probably more like a 16th.

Is it ok to use air to purge them free of any flammable gas that may be inside?

It's not an old boat and the toons look pretty good, just the splash guards have broken off at the welds.

Any advise?

Why would you think they have flammable gas inside?

No purging needed but usually a vent hole to allow the pressure to escape if your going to be doing a lot of welding. Should be a fitting with a pipe plug somewhere.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Tell me more about it, such as what brand (mfg) it is and what model, and the size.
    How many logs does it have etc.
    Generally pontoons are .080 5052. Since triple logs have become more popular with larger engines etc. they have thickened up and run anything up to sometimes as thick as .125 altho that varies greatly according to the mfg. and the year.
    Pics of the damage would help as well.
    Over the last dozen years I have repaired hundreds of pontoon boats and may possibly be of some assistance.
    Hopefully you are the first person to work on this.
    BTW....if you are planning to mig on this....think again. This is a tig job unless you have a boatload of aluminum mig background.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Tell me more about it, such as what brand (mfg) it is and what model, and the size.
    How many logs does it have etc.
    Generally pontoons are .080 5052. Since triple logs have become more popular with larger engines etc. they have thickened up and run anything up to sometimes as thick as .125 altho that varies greatly according to the mfg. and the year.
    Pics of the damage would help as well.
    Over the last dozen years I have repaired hundreds of pontoon boats and may possibly be of some assistance.
    Hopefully you are the first person to work on this.
    BTW....if you are planning to mig on this....think again. This is a tig job unless you have a boatload of aluminum mig background.
    Using tig and it will be the first repair on the boat. Make model etc. I do not know yet. I saw it briefly an am waiting to see if we can get it in my backyard. The existing splash guard, one that is still there, is .080.

There is a small slope where it will have to be backed down sideways and the wheels on the trailer are under the boat which might make it top heavy. Bit concerned about it tipping over.

But I will get pics and the other info, maybe this weekend.

I've always heard to purge the toons. I don't know how bad gas could get in one except if the drain was open and a gas tank was leaking that usually sit directly above the drains. Maybe on a cracked toon surface water where gas and oil float might splash up on it and leak down into it. I just don't know of the ways and why people say they have blown up.

The only way you would have to purge the toons because of fumes is if it had a fuel tank in it. Some high end models do have this. Simply locate the fuel tank anyways before you proceed.
    The main thing is....before you weld on it you must VENT the chamber that you are welding on. That can vary, because some logs have several chambers and others have baffles with holes in the bottom and drain plugs in the rear.
    The ones with several chambers normally have pipe plug on top.
    Since there are so many variations you will need the boat before anyone can give you much advice.....unless you can CALL the customer and then post back.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300

The only way you would have to purge the toons because of fumes is if it had a fuel tank in it. Some high end models do have this. Simply locate the fuel tank anyways before you proceed.
    The main thing is....before you weld on it you must VENT the chamber that you are welding on. That can vary, because some logs have several chambers and others have baffles with holes in the bottom and drain plugs in the rear.
    The ones with several chambers normally have pipe plug on top.
    Since there are so many variations you will need the boat before anyone can give you much advice.....unless you can CALL the customer and then post back.
    Hey FusionKing,
    The Pontoon boat is a 2000 Odyssey Millenium and it has the pipe plugs at the bottom rear. The old welds will have to be removed somewhat.

So what about leaving a little weld there for thickness to start back on? Also is there a way to know the correct filler? Was kind of planning to use 4043, the angle I got from Lowes is labeled Steel Works 6408.

Will be using this angle welded to the guard which is 1/8th 6061. Thought about breaking it at a 90 but the angle will be stronger. What do you think?

The angle I've seen at lowes is not that good. It has a square joint and seems to be pretty low quality aluminum. I'd look for some good commercial angle with a nice gusset inside or bend some up yourself.
    CGum
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

Default Just caught this thread again!

Use 5356 filler. How did the welds break? I it is skip welded, sometimes you are better off to weld the entire bottom.
    Totally straightening the piece and re-welding it will do more good than anything. Then you could re-enforce it with more beef if needed.
    Slow and methodical is key. Start on one end and weld very little at a time or the fin will warp away from the toon. You cannot catch up with the expansion and will need to cut it back apart. As it cools the 2 parts will draw together.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300

Use 5356 filler. How did the welds break? I it is skip welded, sometimes you are better off to weld the entire bottom.
    Totally straightening the piece and re-welding it will do more good than anything. Then you could re-enforce it with more beef if needed.
    Slow and methodical is key. Start on one end and weld very little at a time or the fin will warp away from the toon. You cannot catch up with the expansion and will need to cut it back apart. As it cools the 2 parts will draw together.
    I'll pick up some 5356, been wanting to try it anyway. The guards broke from lots of waves pounding them upwards then being pushed back down . Weekends on the lakes around here are are crazy with boats. Of course kids like to hang onto them also while playing in the water.

The actual welds didn't appear to break, the thin aluminum being stressed at the welds gave way, and yes they were skip welded. I'm building 4 new guards a little thicker and larger overall as 2 of the originals are lost.

Thanks for the advise, I'll plan to weld the entire length if it's going well.

This boat has some really nice looking welds all over, I was impressed with the quality an workmanship that went into the pontoons on the boat. Just the guards have taken a beating.

Cool....if you can make all 4 new that would be nice.
    Now, one thing that you may be able to improve.... If you have a flange on the fin, that turns down, and it is welded along the bottom. Then you can make that "leg" of the fin longer. Then it will lay against the nosecone for a longer distance and straining the weld much less. And it will give you some new metal to weld on just below all the fatigued junk.
    Make sure you pressure test all the old welds etc. before you weld the fin on. 2lbs is plenty of air pres when you hit it with a spray bottle of dishsoap water. I find many leaks in this area. Test your work as well.
    There is a real good chance this boat has other leaks. Generally when the fins are up and bent like that, the boat is running low...ie...water in the tubes, that they have been draining out periodically. Normally these boats crack at the front and back brackets, on the insides of both logs. If this one is you may make several times more money fixing the REAL problem.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300