Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Model 32 bending aluminum

I am going to buy a bender in the near future. I really like the model 32 by JD2/ Van Sant. Does anyone out there own one? How does it bend aluminum sch 40 pipe 1''-2''. I will use it for mostly aluminum pipe. Also some smaller square and round tube, mostly aluminum though. The price isn't bad. I'll have to go with a manual version at first. And upgrade to hydraulics when $ allows. My only experience with a bender is a compact bender I have. It's only for solid stock and flats. I'll be using it for mostly marine/boat applications.

Default Very good bender

JD makes a quality bender for the money its slow but does a good job. I use mine all the time it paid for itself the first job. I have the hydraulic version and i've never used it manually.

I think mine is the model 3 if my memory is correct.
    ALL I bend with mine is sch 40 aluminum pipe.
    One thing I can tell you is....get the delrin following dies (xtra $$$) or you will have scrap aluminum....I know. I tried to use the standard ones made of steel and they ate my tubing up. Now I use the optional delrin dies and lube them with each part.
    The steel main die is fine as it moves with the piece, whereas the following dies rub against the pipe. HTH

This is the sort of stuff I prefer to make with mine...
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default Nice work fusion king

Looks good!! So that bender works good on aluminum with the delrin followers? Are you bending 6061 T6? What happened to the pipe before you got the delrin followers?

I have been bending 1 1/2" 6063 T-52.....it is bendable. 6061 T-6 will break before it bends. You would have to anneal it before it will bend nice.
    The standard following dies puts DEEP scratches on the outside of the pipe. Plastic is the only way to go on aluminum, no matter whose bender you buy IMO.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default Thanks FK

Thanks for the info fusion king. My supply house carries 6063 up to 1 1/2'' too. Would you also only use 6063 when bending smaller tube, round and square? Say 1/2''-1''? By the way I came across one of your threads with all the pic's. WOW!! Some really nice work. I am hopefull to up there with you some day. I'm trying to get a start in the marine stuff. I just make small stuff for now geared towards fishing/boating. Like sandspikes, rod racks for trucks, rod riggers for trolling, wreck anchors ect. I can't wait to get a bender and make a leaning post seat for my Grady.