Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Default I wish the holes would stop

Hey everyone, long time no talk I have gone through I think 3 pairs of overalls in the past 4 months, no matter how hard I try my pant legs just keep catching on fire I just got a brand spanking new pair of carhartts and guess what happened gouging a backing strip off my plate today.... ya you guessed it a new hole. I know that I cant really stop the holes from burning through but its just very annoying going out for new overalls every few months. Other then that school couldn't possibly be going any smoother I just my first block release February 4th so that should keep my busy.
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Wear shorts for awhile...... That'll teach you to keep your legs outta the way

Same with mechanics, some get nasty and some don't. its how you work

good luck with school

ps: joking about the shorts of course!!
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

get some leather chap's.
    look on the bright side, your working.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

I burned a nice hole in my new Addis tenny runners a few months back, the shoe is fine but the matching hole in my foot isn't. By the time i got the fire out i was burned pretty good. Welding is hard on clothes don't care what it is the spark will find its way in. I wear shorts and a welding jacket most of the time unless i am crawling around on the floor then i put on some Nomex FR coveralls....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Rather than go out to a welding shop and buying coveralls, welding jackets, etc, check out your local Salvation Army or Goodwill store, or a similar place. Many of them sell shirts or clothing for a dollar or two that you can use for welding. Saves quite a bit of money in a year.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

or you could stock your tool box w/ the one tool you will always need,,,,,,DUCK TAPE!!!!! That should keep the wholes from getting bigger. Only down side is duck tape flippin stinks when it melts man. you know its time to get new britches when you have to tape the seam of the crotch!
    Hey !!!!!!!!!Ur on flippin fire man

NO ****,,,,,tell me somethin I didnt know

aametalmaster
    I burned a nice hole in my new Addis tenny runners a few months back, the shoe is fine but the matching hole in my foot isn't.

when i started plasma cutting a lot i got a pair of the leather foot covers. work good to keep blobs from burning threw the laces and tung of my boots. only gotts get a good sized one inthere wile you start trying to unlace and get a boot off once to look for a better protection. i dont own sneakers but i suspect it would be easyer to get them off but still no fun.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I have to agree with HMW on this one, it has a lot to do with how you position yourself while you are welding. Between managing to stand in all the wrong places and poor machine setup I was getting burned on a daily basis when I first started welding. Now I've reached the point where I don't usually get burned all that often. My number one rule, stand with your feet in a position that they are not easy access for sparks or other glowing gobules, after three differenct holes in my left angle I figured that one out.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I went to local horse sale/ auction and they have lots of venders their selling leather goods, all kinds of leather stuff. so I got some scrape leather a hole bundle for 2 dollars and I made some covers to go over my boot laces, just two holes and feed the laces threw the holes and then tie my boots and the leather flips down, covering my laces . it works great

........ Richard

also you should where ear plugs when welding. . you don't want hot spatter,slag to go down in your ear canal. and yes it will find its way their