Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Turbocharger Supporting

Looking for some idea's or pics. on supporting a forward mounted large frame turbo.I'm thinking about drilling an tapping the hot side flange,and using a heim joint and 5/8-7/8 cm tubing to extend down to the block or alt. mount possibly.This is a street driven Supra,and I think just relying on a v band clamp to carry the weight is asking a bit much.I know there's a fair amount of heat expansion,so some movement of support(s) needs to be considered.Thanks Rich

I would avoid drilling and tapping anything on a turbo, if I had the choice. What I have seen before, is people building a 1/8" to 3/16" steel, or stainless bracket, that bolts onto, and wraps around the turbo (From the turbo to the cold side, or hot side flange) To cradle it.

If attached to the motor, no real issues with heat expansion, etc, as this would hold the weight properly, and not just rely on the exhaust manifold and the vband.

I haven't worked around Supra's or the 2JZ platform enough to be able to tell you how to go about it on there, but on a few RX7's, Miata's, and at least one V8 twin turbo Alcohol dragster I know of, do a form of this.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Quote Originally Posted by On fire most of the time View Post
    I would avoid drilling and tapping anything on a turbo, if I had the choice. What I have seen before, is people building a 1/8" to 3/16" steel, or stainless bracket, that bolts onto, and wraps around the turbo (From the turbo to the cold side, or hot side flange) To cradle it.

If attached to the motor, no real issues with heat expansion, etc, as this would hold the weight properly, and not just rely on the exhaust manifold and the vband.

I haven't worked around Supra's or the 2JZ platform enough to be able to tell you how to go about it on there, but on a few RX7's, Miata's, and at least one V8 twin turbo Alcohol dragster I know of, do a form of this.
    I agree about dilling or tapping on the turbo itself.I have a sch.10 90 deg. with a 1/2" flange tigged on.That I would drill and tap.I like the idea of cradling it,rather than relying on one point mount,than going to the moter with a tube.Thanks Rich

Default Turbo Support

I guess this thread could'nt cajole up some responses.So I guess I'll let you know what I'll be doing.And probably post some pics for future refs.I've got some 3/16" 304 plate which I'll have jetted out in the shape of a cradle(slingshot like) to catch two of the bolt holes on the T4 inlet flange.I'll bend a 45deg. flange for a little rigidity and a spot to weld on some tubing (SS)Which will extend down to the alternator mount.Tubes will be 3/4" od by.060 wall.That way whatever movement there is in the moter,the turbo will follow along.

Hit the nail straight on the head with that. I was hoping my explanation made sense. I'm looking forward to those pictures. Maybe I'll do a thread revival for my old chevy pickup, and post a few things I've been working on.

Sometimes here in the motorsports area, there are very few voices. Not to say that you will never get a response, but this is definitely the least traveled area of the forum.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Ive got a 2jz MKIV with a Turbonetitcs T-66 single, what Ive seen most people do is weld the supports into the manifold itself (since the manifold on a 2j is what supports most of the weight.

Good Luck

I've typically used the two-bolt oil flange as my attachment point on the turbo. You can use the inlet or drain side . . . or both.

-jim
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by Cory151 View Post
    Ive got a 2jz MKIV with a Turbonetitcs T-66 single, what Ive seen most people do is weld the supports into the manifold itself (since the manifold on a 2j is what supports most of the weight.

Good Luck
    This manifold I'm working with runs towards the front of the engine compartment,a race manifold.With the turbo almost sitting directly behind the rt. front headlite.So its kinda away from the side of the moter.He would like to use 4" intercooler tubing in and out of fmic.Hopefully we don't have to much of a lag problem?Supposedly the turbo supports 900-1000 hp.The exhaust will be 4" all the way back 304ss