Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sounds like a great project. The hardest part to me is to get the proportations right. It easy to build a dump box, or a frame and easy to make a tongue and install axles. Its VERY hard to decide where to put it all. On the dump trailer we built about 10 yrs ago, we have completely moved the cylinder positions [were mounted to far back] and have moved the axles twice now. The last modifications I made new hinges for the dump and replaced the rear cross member. Make sure you get enough tongue weight, we had an issue with that which I think is cured now by moving the axles toward the rear more. Also make the tongue tough, it has to pull and twist the rest of the junk. Also added a small cylinder on the front of the bed to help with the initall lift. It pushs straight up about a foot and runs with the larger cylinders. it helps alot. You need to have the cylinders back enough to make the dump go high enough but angled enough to be strong. We've dumped 5 tons of gravel many times and works well. good luck and have fun making it.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

RoGrr Hi, I also have looked into building a damp trailer using an old 1ton dumpbody. The numbers don't really work if you are trying to save money ( Still haven't ruled it out from the fun/practice stand point). One thing that you may not be aware of. If you build the trailer with 2 axels that are larger than 5000 Lb you may have to get a CDL. In Pa if the GVW of the trailer if greater than 10000 Lb you must have a class A CDL. I think this applies nation wide(?) If you build the trailer with 2 7000 Lb axels DOT may require you to rate it at a GVW of 14000 Lb. In Pa you can not lower the weight of a existing trailer to below 10001 Lb if you don't replace the axels, and my under standing is that DOT will be determining your GVW of a built trailer based on the axels you choose. (in PA you will have to send in to the state documentation of all the parts used for the trailer, Reciepts for purchased parts axels, brakes, lights etc that are bought new, and VIN numbers and reciepts for anything coming from a used vehicle, ie. the 1 ton bed. (I ran into this problem with an old Uhaul box that I tried to build a small trailer for. Built the trailer but can't get them to register it because I don't have the original VIN for the doner truck.) This is so Pa can tell that you paid sales taxes on all parts, and that no stolen parts are used to build the trailer. You will also have to have brakes on any trailer heavier than 5000Lb. Electrics are great but you will probably need a controller in the truck.
    By the way a class A CDL is the same as for a tractor trailer with all the same requirements, medical card etc. I also understand that it is a real pain to get a class A CDL in a light truck and trailer. They really want you generally to take the test in a truck greater than 26000 GVW with a trailer. I guess that this is to prevent guys from taking the test for big rigs in smaller trucks. DOT in my area have really been cracking down on dump trailers. (read easy revenue gathering) I know several guys that have sold their 5th wheel travel trailers rather than deal with the BS of getting a CDL.