Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There is a way to weld it to prevent the panel from bowing.

The welds now are holding the pickets with a vertical weld on each side of the picket. So when you add up all of those transverse welds on the frame the pickets are attached to, the amount of shrinking of each weld is what is making the frame bowed because they are all on one side of the tubing . When all are added up.

Instead of welding vertically on each side of the picket to the panel rail weld the
    pickets on the horizontal on the bottom of that top rail and on the TOP of the bottom rail.

That way all of the welds will be longitudinal on that panel rail and on the very corner. I will post a drawing.

The other thing you could do is to put the pickets on alternating sides and then there would be an equal number of welds on both sides of the rail the pickets are attached to. Shrinkage would be equal on both sides.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.

One more possible solution.
    Visualize this in steel.

Put a rail on both sides then there will be equal welds on each side and the welds will be less visible.

And one more idea...
    If you took the bowed panel and lay it on the ground and pass a torch flame down the opposite side of the panel the same direction as the weld ,every where there is a weld, then the panel will shrink on that side and it will flatten out.
    You could start in the middle and work your way towards the ends. Just do every other weld to start with and maybe that is all it will take. Just a red hot path going the same direction of the weld but on the opposite side of the tube.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-22-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    There is a way to weld it to prevent the panel from bowing.

The welds now are holding the pickets with a vertical weld on each side of the picket. So when you add up all of those transverse welds on the frame the pickets are attached to, the amount of shrinking of each weld is what is making the frame bowed because they are all on one side of the tubing . When all are added up.

Instead of welding vertically on each side of the picket to the panel rail weld the
    pickets on the horizontal on the bottom of that top rail and on the TOP of the bottom rail.

That way all of the welds will be longitudinal on that panel rail and on the very corner. I will post a drawing.

The other thing you could do is to put the pickets on alternating sides and then there would be an equal number of welds on both sides of the rail the pickets are attached to. Shrinkage would be equal on both sides.
    Sir,no disrespect but regradless of how you weld those pickets, as long as they are welded on one side it will bow.Fabricate a 6 foot section welded like you say and post a picture. I personally run my horizontal pieces thru my roll bender first to put a slight bend in it before I weld the pickets on but everybody has their own method.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Thanks for documenting this so well. You might hate ornamental fencing, but the rest of us like seeing a project like this done by a man and not a machine.

When I made the fence for my yard, I came up with a system to 'unbend' each section on the table that had held my jig. It would take a few minutes for each section -- a variation on the 'jump on it' technique you described in your posts.