Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Kobalt (Lowes) welding helmet battery replacement?

I have a Kobalt auto darkening hood:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_190724-47120...lding%2Bhelmet

It has been in storage the last 6 months and the batteries will not charge now from the onboard solar panel. It flashed me pretty good.

Anyone out there have this helmet and changed the battery (ies)? Care to share any details before I open it with my hammer?

Thanks all!
    Chris

You might want to contact Lowe's and ask them. Chances are it was most likely made by a company no one can pronounce in a city no one can pronounce in china. Personally there are only 2 auto dark helmets I care to spend my hard earned cash on and that would be Miller's big window elite and Optrel's satellite. Sure they cost more but when you have a problem there is product support available. My big window elite is now 6 years old and never has given me a problem and I think I've gone through 4 sets of batteries in that time period and it's used almost daily. Other than the batteries I've had to replace the head gear once and that was because when I took it apart to clean it I lost a part.

Sometimes the best deal doesn't have the lowest price tag.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default battery replacement

I have a Kobalt welding hood like the one in your picture. I have used it just about every working day for 4 years now and have never had a problem with it. As I understood it, in articles about the hood, it has no batteries. It receives its power from the solar cells. My fellow welder at the shop owns a Hobart and has to replace AAA batteries occaisionally. I can find no place on my hood that would hold any access to batteries. The welding lens won't even come apart without breaking it. I have used it for 4 years and have not had to change a battery yet

Just take a hammer to it or leave it in the sun for a day. They probably have an internal battery that is completely drained.
    Ps. Get a Miller hood next time.

Try setting it in the bright sunshine for a couple of day to try and charge the internal battery that might help

Quote Originally Posted by cabininthewoods View Post
    Try setting it in the bright sunshine for a couple of day to try and charge the internal battery that might help

Hay that's a good idea, great minds think alike. Hahaha

I have one and have used it for almost 6 months with no trouble at all

Maybe check Solyndra for a solar cell, good prices, slow shipping.

Greg

Lightbulb Repair your Kobalt Helmet..! Why waste money and buy another? I did the work for you.

Greetings,

Here, I had a one of these helmets at my shop, my partner found for $5
    So many people out there have helped me in the past that I had to do the same
    and share the KARMA.

There are batteries in there, you can't charge air I said to myself. So here it is.

** PLEASE READ - I'm not responsible for any damage or injury as a result of this procedure. If your not confident that you can accomplish this procedure then please do not attempt to repair yourself. Plastic emits harmful toxins when heated, work in a well venilated area. Proceed at your own risk. **

You need the following:

1 propane torch or lighter (something to heat up an exacto blade.
    1 exacto knife handle and blade
    1 flat tip small screw driver with rigid shaft, no flexible one.

Heat the exacto blade up till red hot then while its hot still carefully score the lines where the unit is "Glued" together. You will have to make a few passes like this while re-heating the blade in between passes.

** only make 1/16" cuts each pass. The LCD panel and Solar Panel are right along each edge top and bottom. You do not want to break the glass! **

After a couple of passes you can CAREFULLY start to pry open the corners on top and bottom. the case on side has a flange inside. Use the edge of the plastic frame to pry against. DO NOT pry with anymore than just about 1/8" of the screw driver blade inside of the case. Just get a corner started and you will see what I mean.

If the case is hard to pry apart after getting a corner started just run the hot exacto over that spot with light pressure. You do not want to cut too deep. keep working around the outside perimeter. On one of long edges you can pivot off of it. So do not cut too deep on one of the long edges like shown here. I broke a small section in 2 spots and learned to work the edge with hot exacto and repeating till it split.

Once opened you will see 2 BATTERIES. These can be ordered online from most electronic retailers. You will need to open and retrieve the battery specs Voltage, mL (milli amps) etc. Sanyo is best "re-chargeable" brand I have used.

Hope this helps the fellow welder out there who's been hit by the US Economic Condition. By doing yourself you will appreciate the helmet far more than just going to the store and shelling out more cash. Use the money to buy some Miller welding consumeables or put on good ol' American BBQ's for your family or friends. If you find the information useful, please share with other struggling welder out there.

MTN
    So Cal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb Repair your Kobalt Helmet..! Why waste money and buy another? I did the work for you.

Greetings,

Here, I had a one of these helmets at my shop, my partner found for $5
    So many people out there have helped me in the past that I had to do the same
    and share the KARMA.

There are batteries in there, you can't charge air I said to myself. So here it is.

** PLEASE READ - I'm not responsible for any damage or injury as a result of this procedure. If your not confident that you can accomplish this procedure then please do not attempt to repair yourself. Plastic emits harmful toxins when heated, work in a well venilated area. Proceed at your own risk. **

You need the following:

1 propane torch or lighter (something to heat up an exacto blade.
    1 exacto knife handle and blade
    1 flat tip small screw driver with rigid shaft, no flexible one.

Remove LCD panel unit from helmet. Release 4 plastic tabs to pop out unit. There may only be 2 tabs. Remove 1 lg gray knob from adjuster to reveal a nut. Remove nut then remove LCD assembly from blue hood.

Heat the exacto blade up till red hot then while its hot still carefully score the lines where the unit is "Glued" together. You will have to make a few passes like this while re-heating the blade in between passes.

** only make 1/16" cuts each pass. The LCD panel and Solar Panel are right along each edge top and bottom. You do not want to break the glass! **

After a couple of passes you can CAREFULLY start to pry open the corners on top and bottom. the case on side has a flange inside. Use the edge of the plastic frame to pry against. DO NOT pry with anymore than just about 1/8" of the screw driver blade inside of the case. Just get a corner started and you will see what I mean.

If the case is hard to pry apart after getting a corner started just run the hot exacto over that spot with light pressure. You do not want to cut too deep. keep working around the outside perimeter. On one of long edges you can pivot off of it. So do not cut too deep on one of the long edges like shown here. I broke a small section in 2 spots and learned to work the edge with hot exacto and repeating till it split.

Once opened you will see 2 BATTERIES. These can be ordered online from most electronic retailers. You will need to open and retrieve the battery specs Voltage, mL (milli amps) etc. Sanyo is best "re-chargeable" brand I have used.

Use cut strips of electrical tape to seal the frame back together then insert back into helmet.

Hope this helps the fellow welder out there who's been hit by the US Economic Condition. By doing yourself you will appreciate the helmet far more than just going to the store and shelling out more cash. Use the money to buy some Miller welding consumeables or put on good ol' American BBQ's for your family or friends. If you find the information useful, please share with other struggling welder out there.

MTN
    So Cal.photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG