Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What guage wire do i need for 220 while running my plasma cutter and air compressor.

i want to run my 110 compressor and my 220 miller 375 plasma cutter. The plasma i am running on 220. what guage wire should i be using running from my house to the garage. I have 8 guage now with 40 amp breaker.

What is the distance from you house breaker box to garage breaker? I would have at least 100amp in the garage for a buffer if both are going at the same time and to not have the lights dim when in use and the demand gets high.

I have a 100 amp breaker box in the garage. The garage is about 50ft from the house. My question is will a 8 guage wire from the house to the garage be good. I heard it will be fine.

So you have a 100a breaker in the garage? I assume your 40a is for the 220 in your garages panel?
    I would want the heaviest ga. wire to supply the demand. I'm going with 0ga at a distance of 150ft, the lights dim in the house when things kick on at the same time now and that's annoying. My demand in the garage has changed since it was 1st done. You never know what else you may do later and you might as well set your self up for any demand change., but that is just me. 8ga will work for you now but mabey not later.

My attached garage has a 100 Amp panel. It is about 75 ft. from the main panel. My electrician specified 2/0 aluminum.

This will give you a rough idea of wire size, though it doesn't take into account the length.

http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

This is more detailed:

http://www.usawire-cable.com/pdfs/nec%20ampacities.pdf

I wouldn't put more than a 40A breaker on 8 gauge.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

So im assuming my 8 guage is plenty.

I am no electrician so i dont understand what your saying

I personally would have done 4 or 6ga minimum for 50 ft length on 40A. Why did you decide on 8ga in the first place.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

You have to factor all things using power lites, welder, compressor etc. Let's say you compressor uses 20a to run when it first fires up the surge electric can be as high as 35-40a, and if you have other things using electric you can momentarily overload the line causing a brown-out or pop the main breaker. If you are using a welder at the time you also running the compressor you could be starving them and best case hurt the units over time worst case you melt the wire and have a fire. I'm not an electrician either but always over-kill the minimum requirements especially when it comes to electrical and always call one to be sure.
    If you fill out the info in the link i provided it will tell you 1/0 wire, I think.