Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inner shield

Default inner shield

someone please explain the inner shield to me , I think it's simple afraid to ask dumb question's but appreciatew it. I wasn't sure if it's a certain techniqe or not ! thx so much everyone.

innershield is a cored wire with flux in the core. The flux shields the weld pool. It has good penetration and your able to weld outdoors in windy conditions where your shielding gas would get blown away.
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clavacle View Post
    innershield is a cored wire with flux in the core. The flux shields the weld pool. It has good penetration and your able to weld outdoors in windy conditions where your shielding gas would get blown away.
    Is that similar to mig welding?

it is mig welding.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

i have a flux core welder.
    its easy to use.
    and great around the farm for my service truck
    Jake

Default Let's Clarify the Terminology for Wire Feed Welding

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator
    it is mig welding.
    No......It's not.

If you guys want to be part of a proper "professional" welding site, interact with professional tradespeople, and think of yourelves as "welders" then you should start using the proper terminology. I know I am going to catch some flack for this but that is OK by me.

Mig (Metal Inert Gas) is an old term that is no longer used....It has been replaced with GMAW (Gas-shielded Metal Arc Welding)

Flux Core is FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welding) and can be self shield or dual shield.

Self shield is the wire already described that is "gasless"

Dual shield requires the presence of an additional inert gas just like is required by GMAW. If you try to weld dual shield wire without the shielding gas, you will have porosity and make a mess.

I am well aware that it is very common to refer to any form of wire feed welding as "Mig".....but it is inaccurate and improper, so it's about time everyone makes the effort to get it correct.

Thank you.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Both are forms of Wire Feed welding.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Blackwolf, you beat me to it.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind
    Blackwolf, you beat me to it.
    Hopefully the members will take my post the way I meant it to be......The owner's of this site want us - the professional tradespeople, to interact with the hobbiests and newcomers......No problem on my end..... but as the professionals, we should be more diligent in educating these individuals in the proper terminology as a starting point to their "Online Education" for lack of a better term.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Default mig

have my 3 G cert, the job posted was inner shield welding and I know the structure is galvinized. I wasn't sure that's what they wanted, A mig welder for that. It usually call's for standard 7018 stick for structure. They have to heaty it also outside when it's cold like this time of year or the inspector will fail it! thank's for your input.mjz ironworker.