Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Looks like the copper would be 2-3 bucks a lb if harvested and prepared right. I see my local Miller/Lincoln dealer is buying used welders for scrap. The same welders he sold a few years ago are a premium for scrap...Bob
    You better think about how much work that is going to take and all of the cutting and grinding etc.,.
    Also a lot of those copper windings are soaked in laquer. You will not get clean copper price.
    A lot of it will be copper dust all over the ground.

Then you have to get rid of all the other stuff.
    Gas and fees to go to the dump.

Sell it as a welding machine.
    Many people would be glad to have a welding machine.

This issue really pushes my buttons.
    The Miller 300ABP is still a good machine.

I hope someone buys this machine so MARC does nor scrap it.

A lot of young guys would really love to have a welding machine that good.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    You better think about how much work that is going to take and all of the cutting and grinding etc.,.
    Also a lot of those copper windings are soaked in laquer. You will not get clean copper price.
    Yup know all about that. I have been a scrapper my whole life working for my dad when i was a teen tearing apart old gen welders and transformers full of then little known PCB's. We had big fires everynight burning copper then cooking hotdogs on the coals. I burned copper for years after that in my woodburner in my basement doing car starters and alternators cooking the copper and alum. But i too hate to see good machines go for scrap...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

The economy in the Rust Belt must be a disaster. Such machines sell for at least 5 to 7 hundred bucks in the Southeast, and don't stay on Craigslist very long.

Regional demand for different welding machines is interesting....

Throw it up on this forum. Someone in road trip range would likely come get it. If not, Ebay that puppy. Much more money for you, and you don't have to haul it off.

Cool

It's the same way with old metal lathes. 2 years ago they were bringing top buck say 1,000.00 - 1,200.00 for a nice SBL. Now you can buy them for 350 all day long. My basement won't hold anymore. I bought one for 350 and sold 2 un needed items for 375 so i have a free machine. I looked at a SBL metal shaper 3 years ago in Detroit for 1200.00 and bought one 3 blocks from my house for 300 that prob had less use on it but needed a pretty paint job...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Did Donald Branscom really have to make 5 freaking posts in this thread (in the course of 20 mins I may add) about how he feels.

Has this guy gone completely loony tunes.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Here again, we see some "great" info posted by Mr. Branscom.

I have scrapped several of them, in rough shape but otherwise OK. When the market took a dive, these were literally being given away. I couldn't hardly get $700 for one completely gone thru, painted & warrantied. This included lead, torch & pedal. I had about a dozen of them in various condition. I refurbed & sold the best of them, the really bad ones, I scrapped.

The average yield for one of these machines is about 100-125# copper, an additional few hundred in steel. If you can get 2'-under spec on the laminated cores, that's a plus. I did.

I was stripping the 1/0 switch & shunt cables with a Stanley razor knife. The copper transformers/reactors, etc, I removed using a carbon arc, hammer & some good 'ol fashion hard work pounding the coils off the cores.

Burning the copper coils is probably one of the better ways to process it without special equipment. It isn't too time consuming & does a good job. I use a propane asphalt torch & cook 'em till they get cherry red for several minutes. Toss them down on the concrete & pressure wash them. This gets most the laminate off & gets you #2 at most yards. You have to run it in a tumbler machine to get it bright for #1 price around here.

When copper was high a couple years back, I was getting just about $3 & a little change per pound for #2 & average total yield (including the steel) was around $435 per machine. That was with me keeping the entire front face panel, top, side sheet metal, all the HF stuff & the fan assy, rectifier & related parts.

The DC 3 phase variants of this machine also yield good amounts of copper & are sometimes dirt cheap. The 360 A/BP's have a truckload in them. If you have enough of them & the market is as bad as it has been, scrapping them isn't too bad a way to go.

IMHO of course.
    Last edited by 7A749; 02-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Here again, we see some "great" info posted by Mr. Branscom.

I have scrapped several of them, in rough shape but otherwise OK. When the market took a dive, these were literally being given away. I couldn't hardly get $700 for one completely gone thru, painted & warrantied. This included lead, torch & pedal. I had about a dozen of them in various condition. I refurbed & sold the best of them, the really bad ones, I scrapped.

The average yield for one of these machines is about 100-125# copper, an additional few hundred in steel. If you can get 2'-under spec on the laminated cores, that's a plus. I did.

I was stripping the 1/0 switch & shunt cables with a Stanley razor knife. The copper transformers/reactors, etc, I removed using a carbon arc, hammer & some good 'ol fashion hard work pounding the coils off the cores.

Burning the copper coils is probably one of the better ways to process it without special equipment. It isn't too time consuming & does a good job. I use a propane asphalt torch & cook 'em till they get cherry red for several minutes. Toss them down on the concrete & pressure wash them. This gets most the laminate off & gets you #2 at most yards. You have to run it in a tumbler machine to get it bright for #1 price around here.

When copper was high a couple years back, I was getting just about $3 & a little change per pound for #2 & average total yield (including the steel) was around $435 per machine. That was with me keeping the entire front face panel, top, side sheet metal, all the HF stuff & the fan assy, rectifier & related parts.

The DC 3 phase variants of this machine also yield good amounts of copper & are sometimes dirt cheap. The 360 A/BP's have a truckload in them. If you have enough of them & the market is as bad as it has been, scrapping them isn't too bad a way to go.

IMHO of course.
    Anyone thinking of scrapping one of these machines should read this post.

My problem is that I simply dont have room in my garage for this thing anymore. I now have a Dynasty and would love to sell this thing. There seams to be a problem with the AC side of things but other than that it's working fine. It's in the Bay Area Ca if someone wants to buy it. I bought it for a good price and it was a great starter machine for me. Now I have stepped up to the Dynasty and I would love to see someone get the same thing out of it that I did. That is a low priced solid welder.

As far as scrapping it, I was just weighing out my options. If I found out it was worth 3x as much in scrap my loalities to the welding comunity might wavier.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marcs View Post
    My problem is that I simply dont have room in my garage for this thing anymore. I now have a Dynasty and would love to sell this thing. There seams to be a problem with the AC side of things but other than that it's working fine. It's in the Bay Area Ca if someone wants to buy it. I bought it for a good price and it was a great starter machine for me. Now I have stepped up to the Dynasty and I would love to see someone get the same thing out of it that I did. That is a low priced solid welder.

As far as scrapping it, I was just weighing out my options. If I found out it was worth 3x as much in scrap my loalities to the welding comunity might wavier.
    I understand. I really do. Just hate to see equipment get thrown in the scrap pile.
    I hope you find a new owner for that machine.
    Good luck MARC.

By bringing this to the forum and creating a dialog maybe it will help you find a new owner.